Research: Getting Started?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CSnoopRun

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I'm new to the forum as well as new to grad school. :hello: I just started a Clinical Health/B Med program.
I did a search, and couldn't find anything that really hit on this, so I apologize if this has already been addressed.

I was accepted into my program as the only person in my cohort without an assigned research advisor. I want to get started as soon as possible so I don't end up on the 5..6..7 year plan.

One professor I was interested in working with told me his lab was full, but if I was interested in doing a project he could assist me on it part time. However, I slipped into my program without a strong research background. As such, I don't feel confident in my ability to design a project from scratch.

My other line of interest is in PNI. I have done some reading in the area, and understand the concepts, but I struggle through some of the journal articles because of the complicated biology concepts. I'm wondering if I would be able to learn in the lab on my feet enough to be successful in this field.

I'm hesitant to approach faculty members on these issues, because I get the feeling that I am expected to already have this all figured out and be a mini-expert on my interests coming in, not trying to patch things together to make up for lost time. Just wondering if anyone has had experience with these issues or has any advice for me. Thanks for anything you can offer!

Members don't see this ad.

Wow- that bad huh?

Well I met with my program director today who assured me all will be ok anyways...