Research??? How do I start

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mepson

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a biomedical sciences major freshman year second semseter -future plans med school-. I'm looking to start getting some reserch experience buti have no idea how or where to start. any advice would be helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

I think the best way is to ask a professor you already know to connect you to researchers in your area of interest. In my experience, this worked a lot better than directly emailing researchers. Also, there are many kinds of medical-related research (bench, translational, clinical, public health, etc.) so you can think if you'd like to try something new, or stick to something you're familiar with.

Reactions: 1 users
If your university doesnt have some kind of structured program for freshmen looking to get into research then I suggest talking to your professors about your interests and asking them to connect you with people working on problems related to your interests as @alkylgroup suggested.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Cruise the lab websites of faculty members who do research in something you find interesting. Read some of their papers, shoot them an email and see if they have any spots open. Don't be discouraged if most of them don't answer because one or two will and that's all you need. Also, talk to some pre med upperclassmen and see if they have recommendations as many of them will have worked in a lab or know of a lab who is looking for new undergrads. Good luck! Also, try to find something you actually enjoy because research can be horrible if you don't like it.

Reactions: 1 user
Just be nice and ask a professor if you can help out so that you can get a foot in the door. Then slowly take on more responsibilities when offered if you can handle it.

Ask upperclassmen friends, acquaintances in your department, etc. If your university has a pre-med advising office, use that too. You can also look at faculty research profiles on their websites and see if anything in particular interests you.

Def read into professors’ research before talking to them though. People love when you talk about their specific research with them.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Go on the website if your college. Look up some professors. Find research that interests you. READ the stuff they habe published. Preferably a professor you got an A with but not necessary. Go talk to them. Smile, be polite and tell them you’re passionate about it. Tell them you want to get a lab setting and if they will let you in their lab.

I’m sure there are many other ways to do it. If not, don’t worry you’re just a freshman. Still have lots of time. No harm in starting early tho. Good luck!!