Research in another field- take a year to make up for it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

piper0147

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone- I have a truckonthrough/delayayearwhichseemslikeaneternity question.

My experiences so far are heavily biased towards another surgical subspecialty with several research projects (no pubs, 1 natl conference poster), volunteer efforts, etc in that field. I trucked through med school blind and didn't realize that an even more awesome field existed until I ran across ortho on surgery and fell in love. BUT, I have no research in the field.

I have the opportunity to take a year off for research, but can also pick up a case report, or again, truck on through. My stats are 248 Step 1, HP/H 1st and 2nd year, so far only HP 3rd year. I am not pursuing a strictly academic career full of prestige, and would be equally happy-if not more so- at a community program.

With all that said, I would absolutely love any input anyone can give. And I am no stranger to med forums so I know how hated these WHAT ARE MY ChAnCeS?!?!?! threads are. Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't recommend taking the year off. Your stats are competitive and any research will be viewed positively. I would get involved with the case report - try to knock out a pub with that quickly. Also, see if you can get a few Honors at the end of 3rd year - those are more important than research activities.