Research in another field- take a year to make up for it?

Started by piper0147
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

piper0147

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone- I have a truckonthrough/delayayearwhichseemslikeaneternity question.

My experiences so far are heavily biased towards another surgical subspecialty with several research projects (no pubs, 1 natl conference poster), volunteer efforts, etc in that field. I trucked through med school blind and didn't realize that an even more awesome field existed until I ran across ortho on surgery and fell in love. BUT, I have no research in the field.

I have the opportunity to take a year off for research, but can also pick up a case report, or again, truck on through. My stats are 248 Step 1, HP/H 1st and 2nd year, so far only HP 3rd year. I am not pursuing a strictly academic career full of prestige, and would be equally happy-if not more so- at a community program.

With all that said, I would absolutely love any input anyone can give. And I am no stranger to med forums so I know how hated these WHAT ARE MY ChAnCeS?!?!?! threads are. Thanks everyone!
 
I wouldn't recommend taking the year off. Your stats are competitive and any research will be viewed positively. I would get involved with the case report - try to knock out a pub with that quickly. Also, see if you can get a few Honors at the end of 3rd year - those are more important than research activities.