Research in Medical school?

Started by LoveBeingHuman:)
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

L

LoveBeingHuman:)

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can medical students do any type of research they like within medicine? Can it be bench research?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you go to a school with well funded basic science faculty you should be able to. I did some bench research in med school and didn't love it.
 
You can do it. Clinical is much more popular though. Something like a retro chart review is much more reliable and bite-sized than a bench project.
 
The reason I ask is because I like bench more in general
 
Which type of research, bench or clinical, is viewed as 'better' when applying to competitive residency fields (surgicals)?
It's not a better/worse thing. It's that clinical is the guaranteed way to get an abstract or paper. Spending your summers on a basic science project where things constantly go wrong and you never have productive results = big missed chance to improve your competitiveness
 
It's not a better/worse thing. It's that clinical is the guaranteed way to get an abstract or paper. Spending your summers on a basic science project where things constantly go wrong and you never have productive results = big missed chance to improve your competitiveness

So would bench achievement > clinical achievement?
 
Semi-unrelated, but if I were to matriculate in 2018, I will have 3 publications from my full time research position, (one first author- think cell metabolism, two second author). I work at one of the top 5 med schools, how much do publications from the same institution help when applying to residency? Like if you go to a lower tier med school and still get high board scores and have pubs from a specific top 5 academic hospital does it improve your chances for residency there in comparison to someone with no pubs from there?
 
Semi-unrelated, but if I were to matriculate in 2018, I will have 3 publications from my full time research position, (one first author- think cell metabolism, two second author). I work at one of the top 5 med schools, how much do publications from the same institution help when applying to residency? Like if you go to a lower tier med school and still get high board scores and have pubs from a specific top 5 academic hospital does it improve your chances for residency there in comparison to someone with no pubs from there?
They really aren't going to care where you did your research 5 years ago. If you want to match to a specific big academic center, going to that med school is far and away your best bet
 
You can do whatever is available at your school, as different schools will have different faculty doing different things. Some schools will have it all, and some won't. If you have interests that your school doesn't have then many students will do that type of research during the summer of M1. I'm glad some people like bench research, because I sure don't. The boredom is real.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Bench research generally takes longer and it's more of a process to get from project initiation to publication whereas the pace of clinical projects move quicker. If you really like bench research, there's nothing keeping you from doing it if you can find a PI, but if your goal is productivity, that's the less efficient way to go.
 
@Catalystik @HomeSkool
Sorry to revive a 5 month old thread, but is it possible to do research the summer before MS1?
 
Bench research is significantly more time consuming than clinical research and you might not even get your name on a publication.
 
@Catalystik @HomeSkool
Sorry to revive a 5 month old thread, but is it possible to do research the summer before MS1?
Presumably, you wonder if it's possible to get involved with research at the med school you plan to attend prior to matriculation. I have not seen this happen. Possibly it's due to faculty concerns that a nonstudent would not be covered by university liability insurance. Or, you might be required to pay tuition money in order to have access to the facilities, just as you would between MS-1 and MS-2 years if you aren't awarded a stipend. I'm guessing few would like to do that.
 
Last edited: