Research interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Suey

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have an interview next week for a research internship and I've never had any research experience before, so it would be great if you guys can give me a few pointers :) What do I wear? Something casual, like khakis or a casual skirt? Or should I be in something like business attire? Is the interview formal-like or laidback? What do they usually ask? Also, what should I know before I go in for the interview? Sorry for the bombardment of questions, I just have no idea on what to expect.

Members don't see this ad.

i think it depends on where you are. east coast vs west coast. business casual...eg black slacks and collared shirt, closed-toe shoes.

Originally posted by Suey
Hi guys,

I have an interview next week for a research internship and I've never had any research experience before, so it would be great if you guys can give me a few pointers :) What do I wear? Something casual, like khakis or a casual skirt? Or should I be in something like business attire? Is the interview formal-like or laidback? What do they usually ask? Also, what should I know before I go in for the interview? Sorry for the bombardment of questions, I just have no idea on what to expect.
i just had one of those types of interviews today and i just wore a pair of black slacks and a nice top. i don't know what kind of research you want to do, but my interviewers just asked questions off of my application and generic ones like, "what is your greatest flaw", "what can you contribute to this project?", etc...mine had a panel of 4 interviewers. so, pretty much don't stress it too much. this really isn't too much to stress over, just go and be honest, be yourself and have fun while doing it;)

Conduct in a research lab, and for that matter, during a research interview, is not exactly like a medical school interview. I would say go casual, and be your self. The point is not to try to impress the principle investigator with the depth of your knowledge. Rather, you should try to impress him with the depth of your intuitive scientific questions. Not just any question that could easily be obtained from a textbook. Theoretical ones, such as ?if this occurs??., then one possible reason might be??, right?