Research/Job questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EKUprem

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have several questions for all you fellow pre-meds out there. This coming Spring semester I have several opportunities that are available for me (Well I know definitely of 1 right now). I was seeing what you guys thought of this job on campus here...its called a peer health educator within our health dpt. Basically I organize and develop presentations on various health issues (alcohol awareness, STD's, stuff like that), keep office hours, and I present to classes and other events. I think this sounds neat, but what would admissions think of this?

Also another question...I had a meeting today with our research coordinator, and basically the only research opportunities available for the Spring are non-medical research. (There's a waiting list for those kind of opportunities) One of the ones available involves observing behavior when hormones are injected into fish...which sounds interesting.

Does it matter what kind of research it is, as long as you got something out of it and learned the process? We don't have many medically based opportunities here.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

So I have several questions for all you fellow pre-meds out there. This coming Spring semester I have several opportunities that are available for me (Well I know definitely of 1 right now). I was seeing what you guys thought of this job on campus here...its called a peer health educator within our health dpt. Basically I organize and develop presentations on various health issues (alcohol awareness, STD's, stuff like that), keep office hours, and I present to classes and other events. I think this sounds neat, but what would admissions think of this?

I think that sounds very interesting and it looks like a great EC. If it sounds like fun to you, then do it. I would still highly recommend leaving time for the unofficially-required clinical experience you may still need. If you haven't any clinical experience as of yet, get that first, or at least concurrently. The clinical experience is most important.

Also another question...I had a meeting today with our research coordinator, and basically the only research opportunities available for the Spring are non-medical research. (There's a waiting list for those kind of opportunities) One of the ones available involves observing behavior when hormones are injected into fish...which sounds interesting.

Does it matter what kind of research it is, as long as you got something out of it and learned the process? We don't have many medically based opportunities here.

First of all, the bolded portion sounds very medically related to me. Although different, I think the research you do is a lot like your choice of a college major. Adcoms like to see you did research, but they want you to be interested in that research! I may be off on this (someone correct me if I am), but I think the research experience more than the topic is what is important. You aren't going to be curing cancer in an undergrad lab. :) Now, I'm not so sure how this applies tomore research-heavy schools such as JHU.

Good luck. :luck:

Yea I think it sounds like a good experience too. Thanks for the reply.

I have about 50+ hours (non-clinical) and Im volunteering in the ER right checking vitals and such.

I agree with you on the research...it will be interesting to hear what other people say. I' m just interesting in getting in University of Kentucky and Louisville, possibily Cincinnati.