Research Job Reassurance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tinyhumans17

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I've read in a lot of threads that clinical jobs (like scribing) are looked at by adcoms better than research jobs unless you're applying to a school with a big emphasis on research. I have had clinical jobs in the past (in-patient psych tech, full time unit secretary in a NICU for over a year), but I currently have a neuroscience research position at one of the country's top children's hospitals that has no direct patient interaction (except when I see them in the halls). I was really only qualified for entry level clinical positions, but extremely qualified for research. I was offered a very generous, salaried research position and obviously accepted. I have bills to pay and student loan debt, and this job is paying me 10s of thousands of dollars more than I would have made scribing, plus they have great health insurance. There is no way I'm leaving this job (unless its to start med school!), but I guess my biggest fear is that adcoms won't care about this experience that I've invested a significant amount of time into. Some reassurance/advice would be greatly appreciated!
 
@tinyhumans17
Honestly, there is nothing wrong with what you're doing, and dont worry about the scribing position because that is over-saturated nowadays. You could always do some clinical volunteering on the side when possible if you really wanted to gain more exposure as well.
 
Last edited: