Research opportunities for pre-meds

Started by oonasna1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

oonasna1

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey Guys

After almost giving up on pre-med, I decided to give it a honest, passionate and disciplined effort. I'm currently taking physics and chemistry, while getting EMT certified. My main issue is research. How do you go about landing a research opportunity. Should I speak to my Universities science departments or should look for research positions at nearby medical schools?
 
Always good to network. I've found research at medical schools via friends who knew people and also just by getting curious about someone's work and knocking on their door. But you can definitely find opportunities in your own science department. Find a professor whose work you think you'd like and go talk with them about it. (Best is if you're taking a class with them, because science LOR.) If they like you and you enjoy the conversation, ask if they have any room for you to help out and learn. They'll probably give you really basic scutwork, PCRing, running gels, titrations, whatever--that's totally normal. But if you show up regularly and ask questions, they should help you find better opportunities to get involved.

And congrats on getting started! Good luck!
 
Hey Guys

After almost giving up on pre-med, I decided to give it a honest, passionate and disciplined effort. I'm currently taking physics and chemistry, while getting EMT certified. My main issue is research. How do you go about landing a research opportunity. Should I speak to my Universities science departments or should look for research positions at nearby medical schools?
I got my start cold emailing PI's. You should do the same