research paper

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GTchick

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good dental related research paper? I have to give a 50 minute presentation in my senior seminar class on a research paper and I figured that I would do something dental related since talking about my own research for 50 minutes would probably be boring for my listeners. I just need a paper now to do my presentation on.

Members don't see this ad.

are you kidding? 50 min presentation? it's more like a lecture you're gonna give. good luck! ;)

yeah I guess the correct term would be seminar. It is going to be very not fun. I had to do something similar in my cell biology class though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Every week I have to sit in a conference room with 20 people and discuss the research that I am working on. I am not even a grad student or a person who has extensive knowledge on the research that I work on. Don't get me wrong you pick up stuff here and there and read papers. Not enough to make me an authority on the subject. For about 30 minutes and then for the next 30 minutes I get #itch at for things I said wrong or presented wrong. This is every Thursday at 4:00 pm. I absoutely hate that day of the week. ITs absoulute pain. I know pain but not this kind of pain

later hockeydentist:confused:

GTChick:

What is your seminar class? Is it molecular bio, generla bio, or what?

I did my senior thesis on benefits and risks of water fluoridation. While researching it for a year, I ran into billions and billions of academic dentistry research articles. I really think a couple of good topics might include research that is being done on bacteria that resides in the mouth. They are doing a lot to elucidate how these bacteria can lead to the formation of caries, and a bunch of other dental-related diseases. In a lab I interviewed at for a job earlier this year, they were conducting a study on nine different types of bacteria found in people's mouths. Over the course of four years, they were collecting sample frome 200 different people's mouths every 6 months. They were trying to corellate relative concentrations of bacteria in people's mouths to the incidence of periodontal disease.

I would suggest going to your school's library, and using pubmed or medline and type in something like, "caries and fluoride" or "oral bacteria" or whatever sounds cool to you. You will get a bunch of random article and their abstracts. I went to a really small school, so we didn't carry most of the dental periodicals that my articles were found in, so I had to do an interlibrary loan. It takes about a week to get a hold of materials, so start searching early!

You would be surprised how long your presentation will be. I did a presentation in molecular bio on Transcription Factor 250 and it's ubiquitination of histone 1 (how random is that?) and it lasted a good 30 minutes. Get your hands on two or three GOOD articles, and understand them inside and out, and you will have a great presentation.

GOOD LUCK!

you should do your talk on the genetics of otopalatodigital syndrome. do a OMIM search (online medelian inheritance in man) and it will give you some more detail. it's a pretty cool topic because not much is known about the disorder. the phenotpe has been established and they know that it is x-linked. hope that helps

Originally posted by hockeydentist
Every week I have to sit in a conference room with 20 people and discuss the research that I am working on. I am not even a grad student or a person who has extensive knowledge on the research that I work on.

Man, I'm with you on this one! I've been doing that every Friday for two years now!!

Last week my topic was: Angiotensin-idependent Mechanism for Aldosterone Synthesis during Chronic Extracellular Fluid Volume Depletion. But it gets better!

This week I have to present: A role for src tyrosine kinase in regulating adrenal aldosterone production. I'm fairly sure that I've had bowel movements that are more exciting.

Getting reamed after the presentation is actually the highlight of the entire event.

You look forward to getting reamed by your PI or some other PI or a grad student. I sure as hell don't enjoy it. I only suffer becuase I want to get published. I think they like to give me a hard time since I am not going to pursue a career in biological research but instead to become a dentist. On the postive side It really helps you in the long run. You become a better public speaker and you develop a thick skin for criticism. thats a plus

At least someone understands my pain

later GAVIN C
hey congrats on the interviews. I hope to be in your shoes in 2004. Looks as if you will be able to pick which school you want to go to. Thats an awesome feeling.

later man
hockeydentist

Thanks for the replies. I work in a bioinformatics lab and although it is really interesting I don't want to give my seminar on that. Since i go to a engineering school our library sucks as far as dental publications but i think I can get something from Emory. I'll search Pubmed with ya'lls ideas.

I pull and read four or five entire articles off PubMed on a daily basis (I'm addicted to reading anything and everything). What can I say -- I'm hooked on PubMed! Seriously though, it's been a lifesaver many times.