Research PI as Science Letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Buttered Toast

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For schools asking for a science professor letter, would my PI count even if I didn't specifically take a science course with him/her?

Members don't see this ad.

This is incredibly variable based on each school's individual policy. There are definitely a number of schools where this will suffice. There are also those where you clearly need 2 science letters from teachers who specifically taught you. When in doubt ask each school specifically.

To be safe, get one from your PI and another from a science faculty member who has taught you in a science.

Members don't see this ad :)
Each medical school sets in own policy. A school can ask for either a professor you have taken a science class with or from science faculty. So it depends on the school. So if I took a history of genetics with a professor from the Biochem dept, some schools would not necessarily consider it a science class while others would be fine as a science faculty.

I worked in a professor's lab for a year before leaving and then took a class with him. Should I count this as a PI letter, a professor I've taken a science class with, or both? I'm just trying to weigh my LOR options.

I think usually having taken a course with the professor is what medical schools ask for, at least in my experience. If you took a class with the professor you're researching with, I think that's great. I took anatomy from my PI and it's been very good because now he actually knows me better than if I just approached him as a student, but he also has my academic record from his class.