Research/Publication Concerns?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JekyllandHyde

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, Long time lurker, first time poster. Ive seen some of the great advice that the attendings/residents have been able to give future applicants, and I was hoping to take advantage of it. Lately Ive become a little concerned about my application, and I was hoping to get some advice about what needs to be done in the months leading up to sending out applications. So to give you the gist of my application, Step I in the low 250s, Half honors and half High Passes in third year (honors medicine, high pass surgery). My main concern comes from my research. Basically I did some research as an undergrad and got an abstract out of that (non-ENT). Ive been doing bench research related to H&N Oncology for the past few months, which is an interesting project, but is unlikely to publish anytime soon. Ive also been spearheading another project that just got IRB approval, but is also a long shot in terms of publishable results in the near future. I was just concerned about how it would look to be involved in research that doesn't result in a publication? Given my stats, as a pretty much average ENT applicant, how much would it hurt me? And if it matters, I'm doing two away rotations as well as a sub-I at my home school. I haven't had much luck getting case reports/ clinical research since my home ENT department is pretty small and not very academically focused. Thanks in advance for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all, Long time lurker, first time poster. Ive seen some of the great advice that the attendings/residents have been able to give future applicants, and I was hoping to take advantage of it. Lately Ive become a little concerned about my application, and I was hoping to get some advice about what needs to be done in the months leading up to sending out applications. So to give you the gist of my application, Step I in the low 250s, Half honors and half High Passes in third year (honors medicine, high pass surgery). My main concern comes from my research. Basically I did some research as an undergrad and got an abstract out of that (non-ENT). Ive been doing bench research related to H&N Oncology for the past few months, which is an interesting project, but is unlikely to publish anytime soon. Ive also been spearheading another project that just got IRB approval, but is also a long shot in terms of publishable results in the near future. I was just concerned about how it would look to be involved in research that doesn't result in a publication? Given my stats, as a pretty much average ENT applicant, how much would it hurt me? And if it matters, I'm doing two away rotations as well as a sub-I at my home school. I haven't had much luck getting case reports/ clinical research since my home ENT department is pretty small and not very academically focused. Thanks in advance for the advice!

I'm not going to dive into this heavily other than to say your application is above average in quality. You have shown interest in research; continue to pursue it and know enough about it to tell the interviewer a) how you were involved, b) what you did, c) what you are going to do, and d) what it's going to lead to.

Focus on your away rotations. Impress. No shortcuts. First in; last out.

You'll be fine.

dont worry mate, from what I know you seem like a good candidate (but i'm just a med student). Not everyone will have extensive research. Like neutropeniaboy said you show interest in research and having something to talk about during interviews (even if it's not published yet) is better than not having anything done in oto. I'm sure PDs will know that your home program's small.

Members don't see this ad :)
dont worry mate, from what I know you seem like a good candidate (but i'm just a med student). Not everyone will have extensive research. Like neutropeniaboy said you show interest in research and having something to talk about during interviews (even if it's not published yet) is better than not having anything done in oto. I'm sure PDs will know that your home program's small.

sgr909.jpg

I was thinking more along the lines of...

Jackie-chan-meme.jpg

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. And nice use of the internet memes haha.