research question - conference or journal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

viostorm

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm MS2, I want to go into cardiology so I'm trying to get some publications.

My advisor wants me to present an abstract at a conference. I thought I needed actual publications in journals.

Can someone advise me if abstracts at conferences are useful? Do they actually show up on pubmed? Do they count as "research" when applying for cardiology?

Any advice?

My suspicion is he is busy and does not want to take the time to write a full paper and for some reason he has been reluctant to let me write it.

Members don't see this ad.

most people would try and present their work at a conference before publication. it is best to do both if you have the chance. Obviously a publication is better if you had to chose, but you usually you don't.

I'm MS2, I want to go into cardiology so I'm trying to get some publications.

My advisor wants me to present an abstract at a conference. I thought I needed actual publications in journals.

Can someone advise me if abstracts at conferences are useful? Do they actually show up on pubmed? Do they count as "research" when applying for cardiology?

Any advice?

My suspicion is he is busy and does not want to take the time to write a full paper and for some reason he has been reluctant to let me write it.

He is testing your ability. If you can write a paper in you can easily write an abstract. He wants to know how much he can trust you. Publication of manuscripts take almost 1000 times of the work of an abstract. That is why every year almost 6000 abstracts gets published in ACC/AHA, however only minority of them gets converted into full blown manuscripts.

Manuscripts always carry more weigtage, however abstracts count too. Abstracts wont show up in Pubmed but you can very well include that in your CV.

Excel in your baby step first. Then he will trust you with the manuscript.

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
That is a good point, I never really thought about him "testing" me that way.

Basically I'm just frustrated because I worked my butt off between 1st and 2nd year on a large cohort study for him. He kind of let the project die although everything is done except writing it up. He was promoted in the department and now has a lot on his plate, but at the same time seems reluctant to delegate any work. Getting a publication is obviously more important to me then him.

Glad to hear that abstracts can turn into a full papers.

Before I read your posts I emailed him asking to let me take a stab at a rough draft, and explained my motivations for seeking publication in a journal.

Also, any good ideas about places for abstracts.

I found two that places that were taking abstracts. The study is a perioperative risk study.

Heart Failure Society of America: Sept 16-19, Abstract deadline April 9, 2007, apply here:

http://www.hfsa.org/call_for_abstracts_2007.asp

---------------

AHA 4th Annual Symposium of the American Heart Association Council on Basic Cardiovascular Sciences: Cardiovascular Repair and Regeneration: Structural and Molecular Approaches in the Cellular Era – conference date: Jul 30 – Aug 2, 2007

Submit abstract here: http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=3044056

Selection of meeting to submit the abstract is a tricky thing. If your study is relevant to the heart failure population HFSA is a good meeting. AHA annual scientific sessions will take but you need 1000s of patients. Any way shooting for any meeting wont hurt , but always go for the high profile if you have lot of patients and your finding is novel.

If your mentor is busy take it very positively. If he is showing slight reluctance to this study that means he is not going to waste much time on this. He might be concenterating on something more important than your study.

I would say perfect oppurtunity for you. If you have the data I will tell you a trick. Just inform the mentor I am trying to collect the relevant articles and writing the paper. Go ahead and write the manuscript and give the first draft in a timely fashion. When he realizes the only work him is to edit your article he will do it so that it can get published.

Again the negative side (which is very unlikely to happen if you are writing a good first draft) is he may not pay attention to that at all. Your experience writing a paper whether published or not is similiar. I totally for to get it published. But at the least you dont loose anything. Believe me. If experience you get from writing the first paper is immense.

Also after few revisions you can say this paper is important to your career. I want to get it published, any mentor will agree to it. But this will happen only after a good first draft. Also he will get an easy publication without much work. Honestly this is what each mentor expects.

I hope you got my point.

Thanks for all your advice!

I have all the raw data, but it went to a statistician and I don't have that.

Thanks again for your perspective. I'm just realizing you have to be very aggressive in the research arena in med school. It is hard finding that fine balance between persistant and annoying.

The first time I did real research was during a summer between my 1st and 2nd year in med school. the guy was basically "Do this analysis and you can get an abstract out of it and maybe a paper" I liked the abstract idea because it gave me an immediate goal to concentrate on as I realized the paper would take a lot of time. I did the work, submitted the abstract in September and thought it was crap. But it got accepted and then over the next 1 1/2 years worked on the paper. It got rejected at JACC, Circ, but eventually got it into AJC...found out the day before my med school graduation.

I agree with what has been said...papers are more important, but when you are first starting out, it's nice to get your feet wet by presenting at a meeting.

How long are most successful research papers? This was a basic prospective cohort study.

If I was to write this up how long should I try and make it?

Thanks for your guys help. I agree he was testing me, I wrote the abstract and got a message back saying "This is really good." That is all he said.

I've had advice suggesting I just email him and tell him I'm writing it for JAC, AJC, or Circ basically being firm and saying I'm writing this up.

He told me in my last email he wants to submit to HFSA and ACP and I think AHA conference.

After you publish in journal can you not submit to conference?

After submitting an article to a Journal, you cannot submit to most meetings. However, the day after submitting it to a meeting you can send it to a Journal.

You cannot present data at a meeting that has already been published. Considering that even if you turned in the paper on Day X, you have to factor in the turn around time of the journal, how many rejections you get, how many revisions they want, and then finally the waiting time until it's actually published. On average, it's probably 6 months to a year before a paper goes from finished to published. Now, if you're submitting it to a lesser known journal and know it will be accepted, that's a different matter.

You can also submit abstracts to multiple meetings and if you get multiple acceptances you can then pull it from wherever you don't want it to go.

I just received my Doctorate in Developmental Cardiology and I have three papers published. I was wondering when I apply for residency in 4 years will these publications still be considered along with my residency application. Thanks for your help.

Tresa

You can also submit abstracts to multiple meetings and if you get multiple acceptances you can then pull it from wherever you don't want it to go.

Wouldn't recommend that. It looks bad to withdraw an accepted abstract

Recently my manuscript is accepted for publication in one journal, but I have submitted abstract of the same article in one meeting. What to do now? Shall I withdraw my abstract? or let it be? Actually I had submitted the abstract when my paper was under review, now its accepted and published online. Plz suggest.
Thanks