research to get into a gen surgery program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

travoltage

Crank up the travoltage!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
can somebody explain to me how research plays into obtaining a general surgery residency? i dont see when a student would have time from ms1-ms2 with all the classes and step 1 to worry about. the urologists i shadow tell me its essential but they have never really elaborated on why. thx

Members don't see this ad.

It turns out you can make time to do research, certainly during MS1 and MS2, but honestly even in the clinical years you'll have lighter rotations when you can work on a project in the evenings or on weekends. Just don't sacrifice your grades for your research.

Is it essential? Probably not. It makes you a more competative applicant for some programs because it helps you stand out, especially if you get a couple of publications out the door. Also, it makes you look like you might have an academic career ahead of you, which certain programs value.

I'm sure some of our more senior members who have sat on the reviewing end of the application will weigh in.

Anka

I agree. Don't think its necessary. If you want to match at an academic institution that is affiliated with a university, its more important. If your target is a community program, I think it is less important.

As for time for doing research. I agree that MS1 and 2 is where you should do it since MS3 is usually more demanding of time where you need to physically be somewhere. You just need to be efficient with studying in MS1 and 2 years. Furthermore it takes time for stuff to get out the door ie. sumitted, reviewed, revised, published as you would like to be able to put a published paper on our CV.

Members don't see this ad :)
The summer between MS1 and MS2 is generally free and you'll have time then. As a matter of fact, I've got a couple of students joining me for the summer to work on some projects.

During 2nd year and perhaps some of the slower 3rd year rotations, you also have time. Do you have a significant amount? Probably not, but unless you took a year off, were in the MD/PhD track or started on a project as an MS-0, its hard to produce anything of significance.

However, for most people, at most programs, in most specialties, its not necessary. Rad Onc, with a high percentage of applicants having PhDs, would be something I would think of as more necessary than Urology or General Surgery. So unless you are looking at PRS, I wouldn't worry about it (and even then there are people who get into PRS without research).

what if you were a caribbean med student? im not sure how one from this background would approach this

Are you a caribbean med student, or is this theoretical?

what if you were a caribbean med student? im not sure how one from this background would approach this

Phone, email, letters, your faculty, your family, etc...if you are not in a position to do research at your Caribbean school and you wish to do some stateside, then you need to work the connections and try and find a position during your breaks, or something you can do electronically while away at school.

I've been battling alot with this lately. Overall, my plan is to do missionary work overseas as soon as residency is over, so I probably won't be the most academic resident, but I would like to go back home for residency (Maryland, and even DC and Virginia) and it doesn't seem like they have many good programs that aren't academic.

I've been told that you should do what you love, but if that is the case I wouldn't have done the research necessary to get into medical school. I realize that you have to jump through some hoops, but it seems like for surgery, research can be an optional hoop. But once agian, this is what I've been told.

thanks for the great input guys, and yes i am a US caribbean student.

I did lots of research in the summer between the MS-I and MS-II year, then picked it up again whenever I had a chance during my MS-III and MS-IV year (it was very tough during the difficult MS-III rotations, as I'd often spend 4-8 hours on my days off working). But it ended up being worth it, as I got two papers, two presentations, a poster and an abstract out of it.

I did lots of research in the summer between the MS-I and MS-II year, then picked it up again whenever I had a chance during my MS-III and MS-IV year (it was very tough during the difficult MS-III rotations, as I'd often spend 4-8 hours on my days off working). But it ended up being worth it, as I got two papers, two presentations, a poster and an abstract out of it.

blade, did you do your research with your school program? do you know where could i find summer programs that would take an us-img as myself?

The summer program after my MS-I year was one that I found and applied for (unrelated to my school). The rest of the projects were with various attendings at my school.