Research to Prevent Blindness Medical Student Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chrisski

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a quick question for anyone that is familiar with this program. I was looking at the website, but am having trouble figuring out how to apply. Do medical students apply directly to RPB, or do they contact specific departments that support the program. Do students need to come up with a research proposal to apply? Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I believe your program has to be affiliated with RPB. At my program I was nominated then I applied. I think you can just apply with your mentor as long as your program already has a relationship with RPB. Call them - they are very helpful.

We applied through our department chairman who as mentioned previously has to be affiliated with RPB. You do not need to develop your own proposal. The PI will usually have a topic he or she wants you to pursue.

Members don't see this ad :)
We applied through our department chairman who as mentioned previously has to be affiliated with RPB. You do not need to develop your own proposal. The PI will usually have a topic he or she wants you to pursue.

Agreed. The PI that you choose should be able to help you write something up. It's supposed to be a largely mentor driven grant. Your responsibility is writing up what this means to you at this stage in your profession and how you would benefit... I believe deadline for June is January 15th, not sure about the other time of year deadline.

Reviving an old thread, but I received this fellowship recently and if anyone would like anymore information I would be happy to help out!

Reviving an old thread, but I received this fellowship recently and if anyone would like anymore information I would be happy to help out!

I received it a couple of years ago. Also here to answer questions.

I received it a couple of years ago. Also here to answer questions.

How did you like you experience? Im about to start my year and so do you have any tips or suggestions?

How did you like you experience? Im about to start my year and so do you have any tips or suggestions?

It got me paid and it helped with my match. It was an honor to receive it. It's entirely mentor dependent, and I've always liked mentor. It's not like being at the NIH with set lectures and group activities.

It's good to have a project that can be finished before the end of the year, but it's not necessary.

Reactions: 1 user
yeah it was a relief to find out I didnt have to take out a loan like 3 days before I was about to take out a loan lol