Research topics to be competitive for internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TiptoeConqueror

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are people doing imaging/electromagnetic research more likely to get internship interview invites than others even if they plan to practice clinically and with all else being equal between candidates?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it depends on the type of internship. It's probably helpful for neuropsych internships, but less so for non-neuro ones, e.g. forensic, SMI, etc.

I think it's also going to depend on how you write or talk about it. If you're talking about how this imaging and neurological research informed your understanding of structural and functional neuroanatomy and your research and clinical interest, as well as how this all fits in with the internship site to which you are applying, it is probably quite helpful. Conversely, you can have similar experience, but don't translate it well into how you fit with the site.

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely helps for neuro internships. Makes us think that the person will at least know some neuroanatomy/pathology to start out with. ?Yes, even if you only plan on being a clinician. As for non-neuro, I guess it all depends on the internship site and what you're trying to go for.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely helps for neuro internships. Makes us think that the person will at least know some neuroanatomy/pathology to start out with. ?Yes, even if you only plan on being a clinician. As for non-neuro, I guess it all depends on the internship site and what you're trying to go for.
I think it would depend less on on the neuro stuff itself and what you actually did with it. E.g., neuro research on people with schizophrenia would be good for an SMI site vs. imaging on children would be good for a peds site.

I think it would depend less on on the neuro stuff itself and what you actually did with it. E.g., neuro research on people with schizophrenia would be good for an SMI site vs. imaging on children would be good for a peds site.
If it's neuroimaging in general, those people tend to have a better grasp on neuroanatomy and such. Of course, your trajectory should match your career trajectory, ideally.

If it's neuroimaging in general, those people tend to have a better grasp on neuroanatomy and such. Of course, your trajectory should match your career trajectory, ideally.
Right, I was just saying that for those not going down the neuro career path, the utility of imaging work for internship is likely a function of other factors of their neuro research, e.g., populations, psychopathology, etc.

Right, I was just saying that for those not going down the neuro career path, the utility of imaging work for internship is likely a function of other factors of their neuro research, e.g., populations, psychopathology, etc.

Yes, for non-neuro, it should relate to your populations/career choice of interest.

Being as far along as possible with your research should be of prime importance to you, as sites want students when cam successful defend and attain their degree after internship bc sitting in a post-internship rut without being eligible for a post-doc (bc you haven’t defended) doesn’t reflect well on the internship site.

Thanks for all the replies! I suppose this type of research would also make one competitive for postdoc as well?