Research-track residency

Started by Jorje286
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Jorje286

Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm very interested in a career in academic medicine. I'm wondering about research-track residencies in neurology, particularly those could offer a PhD degree. There's one at UCSD but I'm not sure of others. In general, how feasible it is to build a career in basic science/translational research after completing a residency in neurology? One thing that might complicate things is IMG status. I'm particularly interested in epilepsy research that involves computational techniques.
 
Many residencies now offer a 6 month, more or less protected time for residents who are interested in doing research. You could pursue a PhD during this time, but it is certainly not a requirement for research, even basic science research. Rather than jumping through hoops to get a PhD, you could instead focus on developing the research skills you will need to get a K-award and be successful in academic medicine.