Research training at DO institutions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
L

Lynch

I am interested in knowing whether osteopathic students receive any research training during medical school. Would you please comment as to how many hours and which classes are offered as part of the normal curriculum (not as part of a special program, ie DO/MPH or DO/PhD) Thank you for your help.
J Kylan Lynch

Members don't see this ad.

Heck, I don't even think most allopathic schools offer a course in research design. With OMT and all the other stuff the osteopathic schools teach, in addition to the traditional allopathic curriculum, I really, really doubt there's a course in research design outside a DO/PhD program.

Tim of New York City.

TCOM has a mandatory class in public health/preventive medicine during the first two years. A module in this class covers evidence-based medicine and decision making, and how to read and interpret a scientific article. That's about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
MSUCOM has opportunities for students to enroll in their DO/MPH program. You take the first two years in East Lansing. Then you go to University of Michigan (Ann Arbor) to complete your MPH in Health Management & Policy (UofM is ranked #1 for this). This MPH degree takes one year to complete since you are in a professional school. Then after you complete that year, you go back to finish your clinical rotations. In total it takes 5 years to get your DO/MPH. It's a really nice option for those who want to go into some sort of hospital administration or even health policy in the government.
You can learn more by visiting http://www.sph.umich.edu/academics/degrees.html#MPH-MD

This site is for the MD/MPH but you can also do it for DO/MPH (I know because I am a studnet in the MPH program).

Hello,

I'd have to agree with turtleboard. Unless you're at a school like Harvard, which offers a more research-intense track, most schools (MD or DO), will offer at-best cursory training in research methodology and design. The curriculum, in most cases, is simply too crowded. But, most MD schools will have opportunities to get involved with projects at any level. As far as DO schools are concerned, I am only familiar with my school, and a couple of the public DO schools (North Texas and Ohio). Each of which has strong basic and clinical departments with good NIH funded programs. At MSUCOM, faculty encourage student involvement in projects. Actually pursuing it, within the first 2 years, depends on your own level of interest and motivation.

Sudhir