Research with MD

Discussion in 'Physician Scientists' started by [email protected], Dec 18, 2005.

1. MEG@COOL

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I have decided that I will likely will not want to obtain a phd and make research the primary focus of my career, but I also would not want to give up research and science completely. As an MD would it be possible to be involved in a small amount of research in some way still?

2. OddNath

OddNath Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Yes-- there are a good number of MD-only PI's out there (who did a research fellowship or something), it can be done.

3. Gut Shot

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Are you kidding? If you're at a place that does any research at all, people (full time researchers, clinicians) will be throwing little collaborative projects at you all the time. Everybody wants publications, even if they're quick and dirty.

4. Captain Fantastic

Physician 10+ Year Member

Maybe my viewpoint is skewed, but I've seen a lot of MDs without any special research fellowships performing research. My wife just hired on as a clinician with a teaching hospital/medical school. Even though she's in clinic 4 1/2 days a week she's "encouraged" to do research, too. That's how you move up the food chain at that institution.

If you want to do research you'll have plenty of opportunities.