Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cranjis McBasketball

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do schools/teachers go over the basics of conducting research or is that something students learn on their own and take the initiative to do? I didn't graduate with a typical biology degree in undergrad and haven't done any research, nor even really learned how to go about conducting research. However, I would like to do research while in school and residency, so I am wondering where to start or if that is gone over in school.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There are some schools that have more research opportunities than others. Something to consider when applying. I participated in some research at CSPM. The MARC lab is easy to get into.

Reactions: 1 user
Do schools/teachers go over the basics of conducting research or is that something students learn on their own and take the initiative to do? I didn't graduate with a typical biology degree in undergrad and haven't done any research, nor even really learned how to go about conducting research. However, I would like to do research while in school and residency, so I am wondering where to start or if that is gone over in school.

Thanks!
Some graduate programs have an introduction to research methods course.
Not sure if podiatry school curriculum would cover this as they have mainly hard sciences to worry about.

Talk to your program research director. Tell them that you do not have experience but would like to volunteer.
A lot of ongoing research may not need specialized skills. They may need you to number crunch with software or input raw data or collect data. You could easily fulfill these roles with minimum training without being a hindrance to the study.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks!
I believe all the schools at least cover the basics of understanding and evaluating research, but I'm not sure they're exactly telling you how to write up a research proposal or submitting it to an IRB or whatever. But for those schools that do research, it seems like they make it pretty easy for interested students to get involved and learn those things directly from the researchers themselves. I think it's just more for those who are interested and actively seeking it out and not necessarily a thing the schools feel like they need to really drive home for every single student.

Sent from my Pixel using SDN mobile

I believe all the schools at least cover the basics of understanding and evaluating research, but I'm not sure they're exactly telling you how to write up a research proposal or submitting it to an IRB or whatever. But for those schools that do research, it seems like they make it pretty easy for interested students to get involved and learn those things directly from the researchers themselves. I think it's just more for those who are interested and actively seeking it out and not necessarily a thing the schools feel like they need to really drive home for every single student.

Are there good sources you know of on learning how to write up research proposals and submitting for publication and that sort of stuff? I have searched, but havent found anything

Usually if the PI is good he or she will guide you. I would suggest trying to looking on your school's website and find someone with research that is interesting. You can even use pubmed to see how active they are in publishing. My rule of thumb would be to work with someone with 1 publication per 2 years at the longest. Otherwise, the person in question is either 1) not that focused on any research at the time or 2) take a long time to put out a publication. Try to also see if the authors are also medical students in the pubmed search, which means they really try to get students involved with their research. So be really careful when choosing a mentor, because it can lead to a lot of work on your end with nothing to show for it in the end.

Are there good sources you know of on learning how to write up research proposals and submitting for publication and that sort of stuff? I have searched, but havent found anything
While there's research I'd like to see done, I won't be getting involved until required to in residency or fellowship if I do one. So my experience with all of it is minimal so far.

I would think the best way to learn what you want to learn is to assist in research at your school and pick the researchers' brains.

Otherwise, I would ask in the physicians' thread if you have specific questions since some of them have probably been involved in podiatric research.

While there's research I'd like to see done, I won't be getting involved until required to in residency or fellowship if I do one. So my experience with all of it is minimal so far.

I would think the best way to learn what you want to learn is to assist in research at your school and pick the researchers' brains.

Otherwise, I would ask in the physicians' thread if you have specific questions since some of them have probably been involved in podiatric research.

There are residencies who REALLY like students to have completed research. Do some during the next few years rather than wait until residency. It will make you look better.

Thanks!

Schools do go over the basics, but it usually isn't enough for you to be able to just start a research project and to see it through. In order to publish or really understand the process, attend journal clubs and join an attending who has published before and help with his/her projects in whatever way possible. The key is to find the right attending, do your homework on that attending and see what he/she has published, and see if those are topics that align with your interests.

There are residencies who REALLY like students to have completed research. Do some during the next few years rather than wait until residency. It will make you look better.

Do you know of fellow podiatric medical students entering medical school with prior health professions degrees and certificates? I'm coming in with a Ph.D and am a board certified family nurse practitioner. Aside from my doctoral dissertation, i've publishd 3 other papers. Do you think that this background + podiatric education can get me into a top surgical residency say in the top hospitals in Philadelphia ? (Hahnemann, Jefferson, Temple, Penn) ? Do you think research during medical school is recommended ?

Thanks Doc!

Schools do go over the basics, but it usually isn't enough for you to be able to just start a research project and to see it through. In order to publish or really understand the process, attend journal clubs and join an attending who has published before and help with his/her projects in whatever way possible. The key is to find the right attending, do your homework on that attending and see what he/she has published, and see if those are topics that align with your interests.

Unless you have prior experience in research and publication, my friend. I'm sure there are plenty of students entering with a post-grad work schedule.

Do you know of fellow podiatric medical students entering medical school with prior health professions degrees and certificates? I'm coming in with a Ph.D and am a board certified family nurse practitioner. Aside from my doctoral dissertation, i've publishd 3 other papers. Do you think that this background + podiatric education can get me into a top surgical residency say in the top hospitals in Philadelphia ? (Hahnemann, Jefferson, Temple, Penn) ? Do you think research during medical school is recommended ?

Thanks Doc!

You're probably more qualified to do research than most podiatrists out there and I think podiatry is lucky to have you. However be careful with the way you phrase things because this post sounds a little sarcastic and overconfident and I hope this really isn't who you are. I'm telling you this only because I've seen students at the top of our class ranks not get a residency program because of their overconfidence and I want everyone to be successful. It is staying humble and hard work that gets you programs, especially for someone with your background.

You're probably more qualified to do research than most podiatrists out there and I think podiatry is lucky to have you. However be careful with the way you phrase things because this post sounds a little sarcastic and overconfident and I hope this really isn't who you are. I'm telling you this only because I've seen students at the top of our class ranks not get a residency program because of their overconfidence and I want everyone to be successful. It is staying humble and hard work that gets you programs, especially for someone with your background.

Thank you , Dr!