Clinical Research and Podiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tropicalstudent

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

Just wanted to ask how common competitive or common it is for podiatrist to be involved in clinical research in any aspect? I am not asking about groundbreaking medical discoveries but more so clinical research that is related to podiatry in general.

Members don't see this ad.

Clinical research would deff be possible as a pod, especially when it comes to best how to care for diabetus foot wounds!

When I interviewed at DPM programs, there was a school that did research into gel inserts with relation to athletes. The cool thing about Podiatry is that it incorporates a lot of different medical specialties into the profession (primary care, wound care, dermatology, Ortho, surg, etc.)

Lots of opportunities!

Research is an integral part of any medical field.
It helps direct physicians/surgeons when selecting treatment modalities and allows physicians to make decisions based on "Evidence based medicine."

As such, are many podiatrist that have performed and are still performing high powered clinical research studies. Reading from the journal of foot and ankle surgery "JFAS" would be a great place to take a look.

Reactions: 1 user
Not competitive at all because research is difficult, requires time, and is mostly pro bono, your compensation for your research is pennies compared to what you can earn for seeing patients. However having a manuscript or poster in you CV helps differentiate you from competitors, which means likely to get a better residency program, and for attendings working in academics (i.e. University or VA) they factor your publications or involvement in research as part of your bonus and salary (albeit not much compared to surgical experience and training and years in practice)

Reactions: 1 user