research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SwineLake98

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know MD students who are presuing research while in school, or are any of you guys planning on getting involved in research? I am doing an REU program this summer as an undergrad, but does anyone know what kind of grants are out there that I can apply for in the future? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am a third year student and have been involved in research since I was a first year. The way it works at my school (and I assume it is similar elsewhere) is that as a med student you just jump onto a PIs pre-existing grant.

Also, the level or research that med students are typically able to do while still in school often is at the level of chart reviews or case reports which require more sweat effort than cash.

Hope this helps.

Some schools actually require research to graduate (think thesis requirement of the Harvard HST program or the new CCCLM program). UCSD requires an ISP (independent study project) to graduate. I have mentored several of these students in my lab. NIH provides a summer grant of somewhere between 3-5K for med students pursuing summer research. It is pretty easy to get the grant (applying seems to be more of a formality).