Research vs. Leadership as MME

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brandednespresso22

Reaction score
Hi. I am debating between a research experience vs. a cultural club leadership experience for my MME and would love to hear people's opinions.

1. Research - I joined as a freshman and was in the lab as an undergraduate research assistant until the end of my sophomore year (300 hours). I presented a poster at the department's undergraduate poster session and was also recognized at the department's award ceremony for excellence in research (probably just because I was one of the youngest students presenting my research and the faculty was impressed by that). I was also nominated for Sigma Xi in our university's chapter. I definitely learned a lot and grew as a student/person in this lab, but I wasn't an active part of the research design and just ran reactions for my PI, so I'm not sure if I can consider this "meaningful." I will be applying to more prestigious research-heavy schools, so I'm wondering if this might increase my chances there.

2. Leadership - I was a part of a cultural club all four years of college, acting as President my senior year. My personal statement's theme is providing culturally aware care because I grew up in a very diverse community, and if I were to include this activity as my most meaningful, I would include something about seeking the different cultures on our campus and using my leadership to bring these clubs together. Definitely more meaningful deep down, but not sure if it is as impactful since it's quite a common experience anyways.

Thank you for reading! I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts and advice!

Members don't see this ad.

What are your other MMEs?

Imo, pick whichever dovetails better into your application's theme and that you can write about better, but it probably won't shift the needle much overall

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What are your other MMEs?

Imo, pick whichever dovetails better into your application's theme and that you can write about better, but it probably won't shift the needle much overall
I have one non-clinical and one clinical. The non-clinical is related to social work where I connect clients and also patients referred by providers to non-medical resources like employment and housing. The clinical is scribing at a free clinic and I talk about how I connected with a patient from the same culture to offer comfort.

I have one non-clinical and one clinical. The non-clinical is related to social work where I connect clients and also patients referred by providers to non-medical resources like employment and housing. The clinical is scribing at a free clinic and I talk about how I connected with a patient from the same culture to offer comfort.
Yeah, I think in that case just pick whichever one you feel you can write about better

Taking a little step back, which activity was more meaningful to you? As advised, if you can address the MME expected prompt (simply, why is this a meaningful activity to me) better for one activity over the other, you have your answer. If you have to, write drafts for both. You may find the one you don't choose may work better for a secondary essay or interview question.

Reactions: 1 user