stargazzer

New Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2005
28
0
Status
Is it necessary/recommended to do research for Pharm Schools in California?
 

rivatnt

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2005
142
1
Status
Not necessary but it helps. Like a lot of people don't volunteer in a pharmacy yet go to pharmacy school.





stargazzer said:
Is it necessary/recommended to do research for Pharm Schools in California?
 

rivatnt

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2005
142
1
Status
Hope this makes sense. Came back from a long day of anatomy fun!

It will help you. Research is for everyone. It will help future lawyers, politicians, etc.

It teaches you how to think on your own. Yes, you will acquire a lot of knowledge in pharmacy school. But you willl have to think critically after that. There will be a lot of tough decisions that you would have to make as a pharmacist. There is a lot of pharmacy discussion on this board like morals, professional judgement. And you also have to express the information you learn in pharmacy school in a logical and organized manner.

:sleep:


rivatnt said:
Not necessary but it helps. Like a lot of people don't volunteer in a pharmacy yet go to pharmacy school.
 
About the Ads

ethyl

Go suck on a Zoloft.
15+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2004
905
25
Status
Pharmacist
If you want to graduate with honors, you may have to do a research project.
 

stargazzer

New Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2005
28
0
Status
rivatnt said:
Not necessary but it helps. Like a lot of people don't volunteer in a pharmacy yet go to pharmacy school.

Would not having research affect getting into pharm school? Is it looked down upon ...in a way?
 

38ctk

ktc83
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2005
163
0
37
Los Angeles, California/Seattle,Washington
Status
Post Doc
stargazzer said:
Would not having research affect getting into pharm school? Is it looked down upon ...in a way?
I didn't do any research but I volunteered at a pharmacy. To be honest, I just really didn't like working in a lab. I think you can justify yourself. If anything, if they doubt your abilities during an interview, you can always say that although you have no research experience, you have done enough lab work to think critically (most undergrad majors require you to do lab work anyways). Then give examples of this. I had to work on enzymes and metabolism in biochem lab, so that would definitely pertain to pharmacy.
 

blizz

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2005
161
0
Status
38ctk said:
I didn't do any research but I volunteered at a pharmacy. To be honest, I just really didn't like working in a lab. I think you can justify yourself. If anything, if they doubt your abilities during an interview, you can always say that although you have no research experience, you have done enough lab work to think critically (most undergrad majors require you to do lab work anyways). Then give examples of this. I had to work on enzymes and metabolism in biochem lab, so that would definitely pertain to pharmacy.
Research is not necessary for pharmacy school admissions. I know a lot of people who got in without any. However, if you plan to pursue pharmacy-related research as your career it may help.
 
About the Ads