Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chalazion12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does the type of research matter? For example, If I do some research with a cards guy and then do some with a neuro surg guy and some with ophtho...does it still all count equally?

Members don't see this ad.

"count equally" may not be entirely true...but interest/experience in all types of research will help...obviously if you want to go into ophtho, research in ophtho helps more, but the fact that you have been active in research in general will help
Peace

I have to agree, I got asked about my ophtho research on every interview whereas I only got asked about my surgery research once or twice (and it was more involved too)

Any research is good, having ophtho research is the best though.

Members don't see this ad :)
"count equally" may not be entirely true...but interest/experience in all types of research will help...obviously if you want to go into ophtho, research in ophtho helps more, but the fact that you have been active in research in general will help
Peace
Speaking of research, what journals are the well known ones in ophthalmology?

Research in ophtho looks better than research in cards which looks better than no research at all.

Top journal is Ophthalmology, with others following such as American Journa of Ophtho, Journ. Of Cat and Ref. Surg, etc etc.

Looks like some conflicting information. IOVS or Ophthalmology is top?

From all the attendings I have spoken with "Ophthalmology" gets the cake. I think IOVS has more basic science type research - more lab work, while Ophthalmology is more clinical research.

My list of journals was not necessarily ranked. I think Ophthalmology probably is best but IOVS is the best basic science research journal for ophth.

My list of journals was not necessarily ranked. I think Ophthalmology probably is best but IOVS is the best basic science research journal for ophth.

Ah, ok so for basic, IOVS.
For clinical, Ophthalmology.

I appreciate all the feedback. Do you think August is too late for a rotation in ophtho given the early match? Also, I don't know if I am totally set on ophtho to tell you the truth. Would doing a medicine away rotation as well be a problem? Say I decide to specialize in medicine, would the PD ask me why I did 2 ophtho electives?? Would this be held against me?

Best ophthalmology journals are: Ophthalmology, Archives of Ophthalmology, and American Journal of Ophthalmology. The Blue Journal (Ophthalmology) is considered the most prestigious journal in the field.

Research in ophthalmology is definitely the best- it really helps to get that good LOR you are looking for.

I was wondering how you get a research. Are we talking bench research or clinical research? Should you personally go and speak with the Ophthalmology Dept, email, work with some professors? I am also a MS1, but have great interest in ophthalmology.

I appreciate all the feedback. Do you think August is too late for a rotation in ophtho given the early match? Also, I don't know if I am totally set on ophtho to tell you the truth. Would doing a medicine away rotation as well be a problem? Say I decide to specialize in medicine, would the PD ask me why I did 2 ophtho electives?? Would this be held against me?

Traditionally, it has been voiced that the earlier the app is in, the better you have a shot at interviews and ultimately at matching. The target date (the first date programs can download apps) for CAS is the first week of Sept - this means that all of your materials, including LORs, should be in by then. An Aug. rotation would finish by Sept - if you plan to get a LOR, get it ASAP after the rotation and you will ok. I don't think medicine PDs would care if you did ophtho electives - you can always say that you will be utilizing this knowledge on your everyday patients or since that ophtho is vaguely taught in med school/medicine residency, it was a good idea to get an in depth understanding of the field, etc.

I was wondering how you get a research. Are we talking bench research or clinical research? Should you personally go and speak with the Ophthalmology Dept, email, work with some professors? I am also a MS1, but have great interest in ophthalmology.

Well research could be either bench or clinical. I think your best bet is to speak with an ophtho faculty member and see what he/she has that you can dig in on. I advise speaking to someone in person.