1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Research

Discussion in 'Ophthalmology: Eye Physicians & Surgeons' started by Chalazion12, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Chalazion12

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Does the type of research matter? For example, If I do some research with a cards guy and then do some with a neuro surg guy and some with ophtho...does it still all count equally?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Jokestr

Jokestr Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    "count equally" may not be entirely true...but interest/experience in all types of research will help...obviously if you want to go into ophtho, research in ophtho helps more, but the fact that you have been active in research in general will help
    Peace

4. MR1

MR1
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I have to agree, I got asked about my ophtho research on every interview whereas I only got asked about my surgery research once or twice (and it was more involved too)

Any research is good, having ophtho research is the best though.

5. Pinkertinkle

Pinkertinkle 2003 Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Speaking of research, what journals are the well known ones in ophthalmology?

6. premeddick

premeddick Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

IOVS

Molecular Vision

Archives of Ophthalmology

Ophthalmology

7. GuP

GuP Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Research in ophtho looks better than research in cards which looks better than no research at all.

Top journal is Ophthalmology, with others following such as American Journa of Ophtho, Journ. Of Cat and Ref. Surg, etc etc.

8. Pinkertinkle

Pinkertinkle 2003 Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Looks like some conflicting information. IOVS or Ophthalmology is top?

9. GuP

GuP Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

From all the attendings I have spoken with "Ophthalmology" gets the cake. I think IOVS has more basic science type research - more lab work, while Ophthalmology is more clinical research.

10. premeddick

premeddick Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

My list of journals was not necessarily ranked. I think Ophthalmology probably is best but IOVS is the best basic science research journal for ophth.

11. Pinkertinkle

Pinkertinkle 2003 Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Ah, ok so for basic, IOVS.
    For clinical, Ophthalmology.

12. Chalazion12

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I appreciate all the feedback. Do you think August is too late for a rotation in ophtho given the early match? Also, I don't know if I am totally set on ophtho to tell you the truth. Would doing a medicine away rotation as well be a problem? Say I decide to specialize in medicine, would the PD ask me why I did 2 ophtho electives?? Would this be held against me?

13. V05

V05
    2+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Best ophthalmology journals are: Ophthalmology, Archives of Ophthalmology, and American Journal of Ophthalmology. The Blue Journal (Ophthalmology) is considered the most prestigious journal in the field.

Research in ophthalmology is definitely the best- it really helps to get that good LOR you are looking for.

14. EeyeEeyeO

5+ Year Member

I was wondering how you get a research. Are we talking bench research or clinical research? Should you personally go and speak with the Ophthalmology Dept, email, work with some professors? I am also a MS1, but have great interest in ophthalmology.

15. GuP

GuP Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Traditionally, it has been voiced that the earlier the app is in, the better you have a shot at interviews and ultimately at matching. The target date (the first date programs can download apps) for CAS is the first week of Sept - this means that all of your materials, including LORs, should be in by then. An Aug. rotation would finish by Sept - if you plan to get a LOR, get it ASAP after the rotation and you will ok. I don't think medicine PDs would care if you did ophtho electives - you can always say that you will be utilizing this knowledge on your everyday patients or since that ophtho is vaguely taught in med school/medicine residency, it was a good idea to get an in depth understanding of the field, etc.

16. GuP

GuP Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Well research could be either bench or clinical. I think your best bet is to speak with an ophtho faculty member and see what he/she has that you can dig in on. I advise speaking to someone in person.