Research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UnderdogMD

Blow the Whistle!!!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how important research is when it comes to matching into a field like radiology? Is it possible to match without?
If it is necessary than what type of research? Clinical, bench, something radiology related? When do people generally do it? Between years 1 & 2 or sometime 3rd or 4th year? Sorry for the barrage of questions, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

This is just one person's experience, but I've found that it's not as important as some people make it out to be. I currently applying with very little research (just 6 weeks done during MS4) and have fared well in terms of interview invites, including at top academic programs. Research definitely helps, but an otherwise strong application can offset a lack of research.

I currently applying with very little research (just 6 weeks done during MS4) and have fared well in terms of interview invites, including at top academic programs.

yeah but are you someone who has a 260+ or AOA?...i think research becomes a little less important if youre one of these guys

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah but are you someone who has a 260+ or AOA?...i think research becomes a little less important if youre one of these guys

Not trying to hijack this thread, but what is AOA? I keep seeing that a lot on SDN.

She's 270+ and AOA. :) (Amazing - I also met her during an interview at UCLA and she's a nice person to boot)

I've heard lots of different things about research in radiology and after having talked to a lot of faculty members and current applicants, I gather that research can indeed help to a certain degree but a lack of it won't necessarily hurt your application as much as you think. Doing it, however, certainly can't hurt unless you show up for an interview and know nothing about what you've done.

The most important things for interviews/matching (in order)

#1: Step 1 score.
#2: "Normalness" of personality. Are you a nice/fun/interesting person who is not annoying who will be enjoyable to be around and hang out with?

#3: Med school grades/AOA.

#4: Step 2 score (and only if #1 is marginal, otherwise no one cares.)

#5: Everything else, which includes research, personal statement, "volunteer work", etc. Most people simply just don't care.

If you are a normal person with a good Step 1 score, you will match at a very good program, regardless of the rest of your application.

The most important things for interviews/matching (in order)

#1: Step 1 score.
#2: "Normalness" of personality. Are you a nice/fun/interesting person who is not annoying who will be enjoyable to be around and hang out with?

#3: Med school grades/AOA.

#4: Step 2 score (and only if #1 is marginal, otherwise no one cares.)

#5: Everything else, which includes research, personal statement, "volunteer work", etc. Most people simply just don't care.

If you are a normal person with a good Step 1 score, you will match at a very good program, regardless of the rest of your application.

What is considered a good step one score? >230? or is it higher than that?

What is considered a good step one score? >230? or is it higher than that?

Depends on what you mean by "good." The higher the better for competitive fields like rads.

Look at the charting outcomes data and you'll see that the average Step 1 score for US grads going into radiology is 235, with the 75th percentile being close to 250.

Depends on what you mean by "good." The higher the better for competitive fields like rads.

Look at the charting outcomes data and you'll see that the average Step 1 score for US grads going into radiology is 235, with the 75th percentile being close to 250.

haha yeah and that was for last year.. I really don't want to know what this year's average is going to be...

haha yeah and that was for last year.. I really don't want to know what this year's average is going to be...

Word is that the number of applications are up across the board at various schools, but that could be due to a number of factors (more people pan-applying, etc.). And even if the absolute number of applicants is up, this doesn't necessarily mean that this year's average Step I score will be higher. At the same time, I share your fear. :scared: