Reserve Services as an IMG?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Clarus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone is interested, or currently is in the Reserves as a medical student, resident or attending? I was wondering if it was possible to work in medicine in that regard, seeing as my options for being a military resident are slim (since it's tough for anyone overall to get in due to limited spots and being selective to Uniformed Services University).

In terms of practicing in the military as an IMG, the responses I have been receiving is too complete medical school, attain and complete a civilian residency in the states and then sign up with a recruiter at any military branch to become a military attending but not sure the next step from there. Seems like a long road and things would happen before that time that might possibly sway me against going into the military (ex. getting married, having a family, life events, personal decisions, work-life)

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if anyone is interested, or currently is in the Reserves as a medical student, resident or attending? I was wondering if it was possible to work in medicine in that regard, seeing as my options for being a military resident are slim (since it's tough for anyone overall to get in due to limited spots and being selective to Uniformed Services University).

In terms of practicing in the military as an IMG, the responses I have been receiving is too complete medical school, attain and complete a civilian residency in the states and then sign up with a recruiter at any military branch to become a military attending but not sure the next step from there. Seems like a long road and things would happen before that time that might possibly sway me against going into the military (ex. getting married, having a family, life events, personal decisions, work-life)

If those things sway you from joining the military, then you should thank God that you had to take that long road. Those things will still happen either way, and if you’re in when they do, and they change your mind, you’ll probably regret joining.

If those things sway you from joining the military, then you should thank God that you had to take that long road. Those things will still happen either way, and if you’re in when they do, and they change your mind, you’ll probably regret joining.

Did I say they would completely? No. I was just say things happen and people get older and mature... decisions change. If you have any info about actually being a Reservist, please let me know. If not, good day.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did I say they would completely? No. I was just say things happen and people get older and mature... decisions change. If you have any info about actually being a Reservist, please let me know. If not, good day.

So basically if it’s not what you want to hear, don’t post. Gotcha.

I have personal experience joining the military single and then getting married and having a family while in, having priorities change, etc. I’m sure it’s easier as a reservist since you aren’t away nearly as much, but it still has the potential to take you from home. How you feel about that is an important thing to consider.