Reserve soldier - while in medschool

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorperez

Jesus was a dissident
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI

Does anyone know if a reserve soldier admitted to medschool (not a reserve officer and not eligible for officer commissioning or health scholarship) can be shipped out while she/he is attending med school?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Check out www.jasondreyer.com. I believe that he was a MSI soldier who was deployed about 2/3 of the way through his first year. Not sure if he was enlisted or officer though. He is really a good resource. He is now completing his first year after returning from his most recent deployment.

Thanks cdreed I will ask him for a password

do you know how long he takes to send one out? thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
He should have the password to you in a day or two. He is really prompt and informative.

You absolutely can. I have a friend who was an E-5 in the Army SF and he got yanked from medical school to deploy twice. He ended up doing HPSP just so he could stay in school and be protected from deployment.

The info all y'all (I've been told that's the plural form of y'all) have posted is the exception, I would think. But as we all know, the needs of the military come first. :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

Don't expect to be in a non-deployable status while as a drilling reservist, even if you are in med school. The pay and benefits that you receive are expected to be paid back during a potential crisis, regardless of your school situation.

HPSP will keep you from deploying since you are in a designated military training status.

Ditto fellas, I was a texas army national guardsman, my unit hadnt been deployed since WWII, I started MI in august of 2001.

guess what happened that september....

sigh.

Im still in, but I went inactive till med school is over. however, had to do MI all over again.

I was an inactive reservist and I got yanked out last spring in the middle of my 2nd year to serve in support of the war. It can happen. Thankfully, my transition back to finish 2nd year (with a new class, of course) has been pretty seamless with the support of the wonderful administration at my school. I'm not doing the HPSP though. Good luck!

Hey for those of you who got yanked out to active duty, were you enlisted or officer? I've been told by the Air National Guard that as an Officer and in medschool you will be protected from activation. This is because you don't have any skills. Anyone know for sure?