Residecy Interview: PD didn't interviewed with me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

af1194

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I would like to get your opinion on this. I had the interview with my top choice program last week. In the email they send, it was saying I will be interviewing with the PD and a faculty. On the actual IV, I interviewed with the chief resident and a faculty. I didn't interviewed with the PD. Although my interviews went really well, this keeps bugging me, if this is a bad sign, that they put me on a less important candidates list.

Has anybody had similar experience or any knowledge about this situation?

Thank you for any comment!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I would like to get your opinion on this. I had the interview with my top choice program last week. In the email they send, it was saying I will be interviewing with the PD and a faculty. On the actual IV, I interviewed with the chief resident and a faculty. I didn't interviewed with the PD. Although my interviews went really well, this keeps bugging me, if this is a bad sign, that they put me on a less important candidates list.

Did the PD interview anyone that day? Sometimes there are last minute changes and the PD can't be there...or there were last minute changes in some of the other interviewers schedules that required a last minute switch, or another applicant had a change in their schedule...

i didn't interview with the PD at the program i matched, so take everything with a grain of salt.

Reactions: 1 user
Did the PD interview anyone that day? Sometimes there are last minute changes and the PD can't be there...or there were last minute changes in some of the other interviewers schedules that required a last minute switch, or another applicant had a change in their schedule...

i didn't interview with the PD at the program i matched, so take everything with a grain of salt.

Thank you for your reply, that is good to know. I am not sure if the PD interviewed with the others. I've been first told that I'll talk to PD next but then department secretary told me I won't . So maybe it is indeed about changes in the schedules. You story is reassuring! Thanks!

Hi all,

No, it's not necessarily a bad thing. I didn't interview with the PD where I did residency for example. Although I did not prefer to interview with the chief residents in general - I think it's ideal to interview with faculty. Obviously you don't get to decide that so I would not sweat it. But should not have a major impact I wouldn't think.

As a chief, I had to fill in for last minute cancellations for all interviews, and once it was even as PD. When I interviewed for residency, I didn’t interview with the PD, and interviewed with the chair instead, and ended up matching there along with two other people that interviewed that day.

Thank you for all the comments! Good to know there are many cases where ppl didn't interview with the PD. I hope I'll hear the good news in March!