Residence in Psychiatry USMLE vs AMC for IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MariNat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am Colombian, where I completed my MD and then I did a PhD in Spain, now I decided to do a Residency in psychiatry and I am trying to decide between USA or Australia. I have read the other forums but the question is which pathway is easier and faster?, It is still not clear to me.
I would like to know if the AMC examinations are much difficult that the USMLE (my friends did the Kaplan course in 6 months for
each step and it was enough) however I don't know anyone that has done the AMC In Australia. I know that it is more expensive but I could work in a lab part time and study the other part time, but I don't know if it is going to be enough time of studing.

The other thing that worries me is the year of supervised practice that they ask in Australia!!! I have seen in forums that some people
don't get admitted to it !! even after passing the AMC examination, Someone knows if it has to be in general medicine or can it be in the speciality you want to do? . In the USA you take the steps 1 and 2 and you enter to residency without the internship in some states... as far as I know.

and Psychiatry in AU is 5 years + 1 of supervised practice (is it in general medicine?) + 1 of
preparing the AMC, while in USA would be jus 1 year for the test and 4
for the residency. And it looks that the pathway for IMG in the States is more straight forward than in Australia.

Thanks Folks!!

Members don't see this ad.

The AMC is much easier IIRC. However Australia does not have the shortage of doctors it once did so it is much harder to get a job there, especially in urban areas, and they are not a big fan of foreigners. I would suggest going to the US or New Zealand.

Thank you very much for the advice!! ;)

in forum you can complain admin ans there you can complain your higher authority