1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Residencies and practicing abroad

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by Freddy, Aug 25, 2000.

1. Freddy

Freddy New Member

Hey guys I've got a few questions about obtaining a residency in surgery/EM/Internal Medicine. Well, the story goes like this. I am still a first year at WesternU and really want to go into either surgery, EM, or internal medicine. I also want to practice in Cali. I wanted to know what kind of walls I got to climb. Is being a DO limiting my chances, honestely?
    Also, what about practicing abroad. How does that work?
    Let me say I am extremely happy I chose the DO program over the MD one, even though I could have gone into an MD program. I really want to be the best doctor possible and care not about titles. But, if I am being limited because of being a DO, then I want to know how much.

So how well do I have to score on the USLME? Are surgery residencies possible for DOs in Cali, with that I mean both MD and DO spots.

The reason I am concerned is because I don't see any DO residents in surgery in Cali...or am I missing some thing.

ok, thanks

Does anyone have any stats?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.