Residencies with International Rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jojo14

living the dream
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any EM Residencies that have an International Rotation as a required component? Are there programs that will let you do this if it isn't required?

Search function is disabled...go easy on me please. I realize the In N Out program probably qualifies, but I don't think I am competitive enough to match there.

Members don't see this ad.

http://www.ed.bmc.org/iem/USContacts.CFM?USContacts__USContactID=8

that is a link to a database of rotations that ACEP's International section has compiled. I don't know of any program with a required international rotation (Though Ohio State sends it's residents to Kaiser Permanete in Hawaii for a month!) but there are several which are amenable to residents doing international electives. I'm working on setting up one for myself now. At some hospitals Medicare funding of residents is an issue since they won't pay their part of your salary during that time. If you're interested in going to India, here's another person who's sent many residents and students internationally:

Kumar Alagappan, MD, FACEP, FAAEM
Associate Chairman, LIJMC
Associate Professor, Albert Einstein College of Medicine

Chair, International Committee AAEM
Chair-Elect, International Section ACEP

Best of luck!

Thanks! Much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
At UConn, people have used their elective month to go abroad to a clinic in St. Lucia with whom a faculty member has a relationship as a volunteer.

jojo14 said:
Are there any EM Residencies that have an International Rotation as a required component? Are there programs that will let you do this if it isn't required?

At my program, we don't have a dedicated international rotation, but a lot of our attendings are actively involved in international medicine, and we have many of our PGY2s and PGY3s going to places like Guatemala, Peru, Turkey, Costa Rica, and India.

Q

jojo14 said:
Are there programs that will let you do this if it isn't required?

I'm sure that most places will let you take some elective time and go abroad. Since I've only been here for 14 months, I can't give a complete list for us... but during that time we've had residents go for month-long electives to countries in Africa, South and Central America, and Asia.

Medical College of Georgia has an EM faculty member that is bery active internationally, taking 15-20 trips/year. South America and Asia/India predominate. I just spent a month in a Mexico City ER while living totally indepenently. Awesome experience that was set up through another EM attending. Beach vacation included.

In fact, MCG has a one year international medicine fellowship, where one works as an attending part time and travels the rest.

You can do international rotations with any residency at any program. Four-year emergency medicine programs usually offer more electives, and thus more time for international rotations. Three-year programs typically only offer 1-2 months of elective time, which makes it difficult to arrange international rotations as most require 4-6 weeks plus your travel time. (Provided you want an adequate experience. You could always go for a week or two if that's all you want.)

The majority of our residents do international rotations. We've had rotators in Ecuador, South Africa, Eritria, Bolivia, Fiji, New Zealand, and more recently, Vietnam, Mexico, and Zambia (just to name a few). A lot of residents are attracted to our program because of international opportunities. Although we currently do not offer an international medicine fellowship, we do allow you to spend up to 5 of your 6 months of elective time away from the institution.

Check out the Yale/Johnson & Johnson International Scholars Program. The Yale/J&J programs pays up to $5,000 for your rotation. Half of the selected applicants are from our institution, but the other half come from non-Yale residents.

The link is: http://info.med.yale.edu/ischolar/

Currently the program offers rotations in about 15 countries. You can set up your own rotation in any country, but this takes more time as it must be approved by Yale School of Medicine, even if you aren't a Yale resident.

anonymousEM said:
that is a link to a database of rotations that ACEP's International section has compiled. I don't know of any program with a required international rotation (Though Ohio State sends it's residents to Kaiser Permanete in Hawaii for a month!) but there are several which are amenable to residents doing international electives. I'm working on setting up one for myself now.

Also, here is an article from Prehospital Disaster Medicine on international emergency medicine fellowships by Greg Bledsoe and colleagues:

http://pdm.medicine.wisc.edu/20-1%20PDFs/Bledsoe.pdf

Cheers
-AT.

As a poster said above, most places will let you go abroad as an elective if you want.

Loma Linda is one place that jumps to mind that had a lot of opportunity to jump on board international trips throughout the year.

dear friends
is there any overseas radiology rotation available is USA?
many thanks for help

dear friends
is there any overseas radiology rotation available is USA?
many thanks for help

Arash,
if u look in the radiology thread u will find better info. From what I know, University of Florida has a good radiology rotation and they occasionally accept offshore graduates into their radiology residency. good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
As stated many times earlier at my program you can use elective time in order to do electives abroad. What is nice is that at Detroit Receiving we are a 3 year program and still have 3 months of elective. One of the residents in my class (intern at the time) went to Pakistan right after the earthquake there last year and ended up being the primary doctor for a LARGE refugee camp. Really cool experience and lots of cool photos.

At UConn, people have used their elective month to go abroad to a clinic in St. Lucia with whom a faculty member has a relationship as a volunteer.

I just interviewed at UConn a little while ago and was informed that currently, residents are forbidden to do away rotations outside the United States because the administration was upset that they did not get their Medicare reimbursement during the time the residents were away. It was said that the residents' association was currently resolving this problem and that those who wanted to go would be allowed if they went through an applications process, but I have to say that whole story really rubbed me the wrong way. I think most other schools I've been to have better opportunities and are more accepting/flexible with them, especially Yale.

I just interviewed at UConn a little while ago and was informed that currently, residents are forbidden to do away rotations outside the United States because the administration was upset that they did not get their Medicare reimbursement during the time the residents were away. It was said that the residents' association was currently resolving this problem and that those who wanted to go would be allowed if they went through an applications process, but I have to say that whole story really rubbed me the wrong way. I think most other schools I've been to have better opportunities and are more accepting/flexible with them, especially Yale.

That's weird. We still get our Medicare funding for up to two months of away electives per academic year. The hospital caps you at 4 months of away electives total. I think Yale goes beyond allowing it. I think it's encouraged.

Duke said the same thing at their interview... they have 2 months of elective, but absolutely refuse to let you do them anywhere outside of the Duke hospitals. People that have done international rotations there use their vacation time to do so.

We have extensive outside (international) rotations. Most people do 2 months and sometimes 3 (by tacking in some of thier vacation time).

Places where people have gone:

Africa
Thailand
Vietnam
Mexico
India
Nepal
one went to several countries for Tsunami relief.
Iran

We have one attending who is UN physician who has several clinics in africa and other places. One who is on the board (and was one of the founders) of the US Doctors of the World.

Lots of opportunities

useful points
dear friends
many thanks for valuable recommendation
many doctors (residents)outside USA or UK want to have 1 or 2 months rotation in Us hospitals,very good for future c.v and ..

what are your suggestions?
some speciallities with less patient,s contact are more acceptable for hospitals i assume as they don,t need to have ecfmg certificate

should we look for universities with ex change program?

many thanks
looking forward to hear from you
/Arash

thanks alot

what about overseas resident want to come to USA for rotations?not only A&E
Arash

Does he volunteer for the UN, or is he employed? This is something I'm interested in, but it seems very hard to get hooked up to do.

He is employed. I forget his whole big fancy title (well desesrved as he is the awesomist-a special word made just to encompass his amazing-ness guy I know). Basically he takes care of all the diplomats who are returning in nyc and runs the clinic once a week.

He is the bestest. :D