residencies

Discussion in 'General International Discussion' started by dentalapp, Sep 20, 2002.

1. dentalapp

dentalapp Member

How important is it to get a good residency after graduation?

If one completed a prestigious residency while someone else undergoes a low-ranked residency training, would their career paths, salaries, employment prospects, and reputations be remarkably different?

Also, suppose that you wanted to go into a competitive specialty like dermatology but don't get accepted into a single dermatology residency program. What do you afterwards? Do you simply try applying again or go into something else?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Skip Intro

Skip Intro Registered User

Attending Physician
    I guess that all depends on where you practice and what you ultimately end-up doing. As I stated a while back, one of my friends was a successful Anesthesiologist who went to Tampico in Mexico to do his med school, and did residency at Maimonides (back in the early 1980's). He was well-resepected and made a ton of cash.

I think that derm is gonna be tough for any IMG, because it's so competitive. Not sure what you do if you don't get it first time you do NRMP. I guess you can do a transition year and hope to match next time around.

Anyone else know?

-Skip