Residency 2016 Path Starting up PLEASE ADVICE

Started by drf123
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

drf123

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all!
I'm planning to apply next fall and currently studying for Step 1. Can someone please help me create a realistic timeline. I took 2 yrs off and now getting back into the game. I dont have any US Clinical Experience currently but I'm a US Citizen FMG from SoCal.
Currently I was thinking maybe I should try to get clinical experience once or twice a week so I can continue studying for Step 1 without major commitments in clinicals...but so far haven't had any luck with finding a good opportunity.
Gonna need to do Step 1 Step 2 CK CS and 3 LORs all by next fall. Doable?? or am I being too optimistic?? Please advice.
I started studying for Step 1 consistently this Fall. I've already done Kaplan and UW once but did it on n off with breaks. Please guide so I can have a winning strategy in obtaining a good score, good letters, and eventually a good residency.
If anyone knows any FMG friendly opportunities in Orange County California please advice!
Thanks!!
 
it's all doable. yes you'll need at least step 1-2 for residency
just do uw, I like adding boards to wards/first aid and take the exams.
being an FMG is a tough gig for residency
there is hope though, there are places that will let you practice under an attending, usually in rural area clinics so you can get a letter. that's your best bet but I think they are already practicing physicians from overseas
did you complete post school training already? where did you go?
what are you planning to enter?
 
I went to school in Europe and graduated in 2012. Due to family reasons I delayed Step 1 but now I'm looking forward to working on a marathon towards residency. Does anyone know of any good opportunities in Orange County that would take FMG volunteers or internship.
My plan is to do Step 1 by end of winter n then Step 2 while working/interning at a clinic once or twice a week for my LORs and clinical experience...