Residency- A must?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hello everyone,

I'm currently a fourth year in Dental School; and I can't help but wonder- is Residency a MUST?

I've started job hunting and most places I look it says 1-2 years min. exp required; however, these are in more populated areas where dentistry is oversaturated. That being said- the majority of my class is driving towards GPR/AEGD due to that fear. Is it realistic? or is it blown out of proportion?

So...how do most people that don't go further into AEGD/GPR get a job? Do they just drop out and end up in 200k debt with nowhere to go???:scared:

That being said, I am tri-lingual/fluent in French, Spanish, and English. I don't mind going to treat the underserved or a predominately minority driven place, but I really don't want to go do more schooling...

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

do an aegd...have to get more mileage on your hands and eyes to excel in private practice

sometimes aegd and gpr can be a complete waste of time.
Choose a practice where you can hone your basic dental skill : oral surgery, rct, crowns,etc. Once you master these basic dental skills, you can move onto practices that offer more high end "cosmetic" dentistry: dental implants, veneer, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

I'm currently a fourth year in Dental School; and I can't help but wonder- is Residency a MUST?

I've started job hunting and most places I look it says 1-2 years min. exp required; however, these are in more populated areas where dentistry is oversaturated. That being said- the majority of my class is driving towards GPR/AEGD due to that fear. Is it realistic? or is it blown out of proportion?

So...how do most people that don't go further into AEGD/GPR get a job? Do they just drop out and end up in 200k debt with nowhere to go???:scared:

That being said, I am tri-lingual/fluent in French, Spanish, and English. I don't mind going to treat the underserved or a predominately minority driven place, but I really don't want to go do more schooling...

Any thoughts?

I'm not sure that an AEGD counts as a year of experience anyway. You'll find somewhere dude. I wouldn't do an AEGD for that reason. It's mainly to boost your chances at getting into a residency. There's nothing you will learn in an AEGD that you wouldn't learn anyway in due time.

Every situation differs from one to the other. I know of guys placing 100+ implants at their gpr/aegd in 1 year. There is no way you would do that straight out of school in PP. You have to chose wisely with both gpr/aegd and PP. A lot depends where you want to practice. Another aspect to consider is if an aegd/gpr will provide training that allows you to bring a service to an established PP that isnt currently not there i.e. implants, extensive surgery, or complicated endo. Take into to consideration both good PP and good residency training when deciding what to do when you're done with school

You don't need one. I did one that I really loved...I learned more in that year than almost all of dental school. But GPRs and AEGDs vary greatly, and so do the people enrolled.

But no, you definetely don't need one.

You can go into the military without a residency and then apply for a military residency. Some people who do residencies will look down on you for not doing one. Some residencies stink, some are great. Do one if you want to or need to for whatever reason. Don't do one if you think the world will think you are an amazing dentist only if you do one. You can be an amazing dentist without a residency.

Residencies vary. Check out your options and choose the best one. Residencies are all what YOU get out of them. When I did my residency, I became very proficient in Oral Surgery and Removable Prosthodontics. This went a long way when I practiced after residency. A lot of dentists don't like doing extractions, and it worked to my advantage wherever I worked. I'm so glad I did a residency. It never hurts to do one and I do believe it helps but I don't think it will keep you from getting a job. Training is always available wherever ou go.