Quantcast

Residency after graduating from carribean med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KP7000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I'm thinking about attending SGU, AUC or Ross for med school next year. Let's say I completed and got my MD and passed the USMLE (not aced), would I have any chance at gaining residency in any medical field anywhere in the USA? I wouldn't want to waste 5 years if I can get MD but not able to get residency afterwards. Has anyone ever done it? If so, what were your stats and was it worth it?

NotAProgDirector

Pastafarians Unite!
Staff member
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Many, many carib IMG's are able to get a spot in the US for postgraduate training. SGU posts their placements online. I believe ross does the same.

A few points:
1. More competitive programs will be harder to get. Orthopedic surgery, ENT, plastics, rads, derm, etc all are very competitive and Carib grads are at a distinct disadvantage. This can be overcome by outstanding USMLE's, research, etc, but is difficult.
2. IM, FP, Peds, etc are all very reachable. The top programs may be out of reach, but there are (currently) plenty of spots for good Carib IMG's.
3. Your USMLE scores are much more important than for US grads. Make sure you do as well as possible.
4. Fellowships in IM are getting more competitive. I'm seeing some IMG's have more trouble getting one post residency, even if you attend a good residency program.
5. Some Carib IMG's do not match. I expect these are poeple who had less than stellar USMLE's, or tried for overly competitive programs/fields. Still, it's a risk -- if you don't do well on your USMLE's, you might struggle in the match.

Oatcell

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good Luck!:)

Last edited:

Top Gun

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Many, many carib IMG's are able to get a spot in the US for postgraduate training. SGU posts their placements online. I believe ross does the same.

A few points:
1. More competitive programs will be harder to get. Orthopedic surgery, ENT, plastics, rads, derm, etc all are very competitive and Carib grads are at a distinct disadvantage. This can be overcome by outstanding USMLE's, research, etc, but is difficult.
2. IM, FP, Peds, etc are all very reachable. The top programs may be out of reach, but there are (currently) plenty of spots for good Carib IMG's.
3. Your USMLE scores are much more important than for US grads. Make sure you do as well as possible.
4. Fellowships in IM are getting more competitive. I'm seeing some IMG's have more trouble getting one post residency, even if you attend a good residency program.
5. Some Carib IMG's do not match. I expect these are poeple who had less than stellar USMLE's, or tried for overly competitive programs/fields. Still, it's a risk -- if you don't do well on your USMLE's, you might struggle in the match.

Excellent advice from aProgDirector! These are all things you should keep in mind. Yes, Caribbean grads who have proven themselves capable manage to find residency positions, particularly in primary care and less competitive fields. Uber-competitive fields like derm, ortho, or ophtho are much harder for an IMG to get, although I knew one guy in my class from SGU who matched into ophtho. But he was kind of a genius to begin with. Schools like SGU have graduates matching into a variety of fields, including family practice, general surgery, internal medicine, anesthesiology, pediatrics, and even emergency medicine.

Annette

gainfully employed
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Avoid Stuart medical school, and those like it, and you should be ok.

Warning paid for by the all over bogeman al Qeada (Quida?)

Would that make the feds shut down SDN??????? Never mind, this warning was posted by another caribbean school jealous of Stuart. Yeah, that's it. ;)

CrazyPeds527

Admitted Scrubs Addict
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured it would take < 5 posts for someone to make a Stewart Med comment. :clap:

It might be the most mileage-inducing school EVER on SDN!

B

Blade28

Moving thread to Pre-Allo as this pertains to med school applications.

KP7000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

A few points:

ok so lets say I got residency in IM or FM and I finished. I practice for about couple years and decide I want to do anesthesiology. Would it be easier for me to get into an anesth program since I've been practicing for couple years and I have experience? Or they will look at my whole profile from the beginning including USMLE scores/carib school grad and so on.

TexPre-Med

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anesth is not unattainable for IMG's anymore. It has become much easier to get into that residency.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about attending SGU, AUC or Ross for med school next year. Let's say I completed and got my MD and passed the USMLE (not aced), would I have any chance at gaining residency in any medical field anywhere in the USA? I wouldn't want to waste 5 years if I can get MD but not able to get residency afterwards. Has anyone ever done it? If so, what were your stats and was it worth it?

I'm not sure you are looking at it right if you are concerned with "wasting" 5 years. You are about to embark on a lifetime of schooling and training. So the point is really to put yourself on a track that gets you to your goal notwithstanding the timing. People who do well in caribbean schools and well on the board may get US residencies, most frequently in the less competitive fields and in the less desirable locations. There is a shortage of doctors and so there is some place for the better offshore folks.

But those schools tend to have huge attrition rates so the odds of finishing up and doing well there are simply not as good as at US schools, a fact often overlooked when people start quoting the "I know a guy" anecdotes. In US allo schools about 95% of those who matriculate will become US doctors, and over 90% of first time takers of the USMLE pass, and over 94% of fourth years match. Offshore schools come close to none of those stats. They are great "second chances" for folks who cannot make a go of it stateside, for whatever reason. In fact the whole industry was created to service the demand of folks for whom US schooling wasn't an option. It is a cottage industry developed to offer second chances, not a preferred option. It is, plain and simple a harder road and you have to really excel just to get to the same position you'd be in if you spent the time necessary to get into a US school and just squeaked by.

But if you are more concerned with becoming a doctor fast then you are in having options in terms of residency and geography, then you probably aren't looking at the big picture.

Top Gun

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Hey, I'm an SGU grad and I just found out I matched today. So its definitely possible for Caribbean grads to obtain residency in the US.

Members don't see this ad :)

MDPWR

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congrats Top Gun!!!!

cockblockandrun

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anesth is not unattainable for IMG's anymore. It has become much easier to get into that residency.

Wow, this was news to me. I am SGU 08 grad who just matched into anesthesia and let me tell you it was difficult securing interviews. Both step 1 and 2 were stellar, etc. etc.... still, as a FMG, some doors were closed. But some were open and I matched!

CHLuke

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off, congrats on your Anesthesia appointment. As an AUC grad, I totally know its possible (not easy of course) to match into traditionally competitive spots. In my graduating class (2006) other than the usual IM, FP, OB-GYN, and Surgery Etc Etc appointments, one student matched into Derm, one into Neurosurgery, and a couple into Anesthesia. Last year (2007 Match) 4 Students Matched into Anesthesia. It's possible. If there's a will there's a way. :)

Lgb325

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all-

I am also a current SGU student and just found out I matched into anesthesia! I was also in the couple's match (hubby matched to EM) :)

It is not easy but it is possible. I do agree w/ what aProgdirector said about the importance of your board scores. AND the reality is, there may be some programs that will not consider us simply for the fact we are from a non-US school.

Anyhow, just wanted to share. Also, I know of a fellow classmate that was able to match to ortho this year too! Obviously, she will be one of few of our grads to do so but still.... it's nice to hear.

oldpro

MS IV
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
congrats all three of ya!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vermian

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

AUC - graduated 2002 - did not match but got a spot in neurosurgery without taking years off to do more. Another student from my class matched in Ophthalmology, and we had a couple get into anesthesia. If you want it, this is a route to do it, and it will be difficult. However, success comes to those who seek it.

spreebee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
AUC - graduated 2002 - did not match but got a spot in neurosurgery without taking years off to do more. Another student from my class matched in Ophthalmology, and we had a couple get into anesthesia. If you want it, this is a route to do it, and it will be difficult. However, success comes to those who seek it.

Vermian, what must be done to make an IMG from the BIG 4 competitive enough to get a Neurosurgery residency?

Vermian

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Vermian, what must be done to make an IMG from the BIG 4 competitive enough to get a Neurosurgery residency?

Honestly - working your butt off and taking an indirect route. I ended up doing a pre-residency year after my intern year then getting a second year slot the next year. Gives me an 8 year residency instead of 7, but this is what I wanted to do. There was a person in one of the classes after me that made it directly through the match, but I do not know the particulars. For me, it was taking that year and working like a dog while making connections.

Top Gun

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Honestly - working your butt off and taking an indirect route. I ended up doing a pre-residency year after my intern year then getting a second year slot the next year. Gives me an 8 year residency instead of 7, but this is what I wanted to do. There was a person in one of the classes after me that made it directly through the match, but I do not know the particulars. For me, it was taking that year and working like a dog while making connections.

Um, by a pre-residency year, do you mean a prelim surgery year?

Vermian

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I say pre-residency year - that is what it is. I did a prelim general surgery year (intern year), then I realized I really did want to be a spine surgeon and not a colon surgeon. So, I went to one of the "top tier" programs and worked like a second year neurosurgery resident - sans credit. Basically, you are the red-headed step-child scut monkey of everyone.

To do a pre-residency year at most of the places that offer it, you have to already have your intern year. It is a stepping stone. However, it is a precarious stone at that. There were six of us working as pre-residency fellows that year. When the dust settled, I was the only one who landed a program spot (not where I did the pre-residency year either).

That being said, I know at least four other people over the years (including one of my current junior residents) who did a pre-residency year. It is kind of like being a red-shirt freshman, hoping you get picked up by a team the next year.

TruthMD

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
SGU has great match record this year.
Go to SGU website and to the SOM and see the 2008 matches.

AlleghenyPOD

1st Year MD-bound
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Same for St. James; the class of 2008 matched most of their students; and we have over 150 students doing clinical rotations in the US. They key is to score over 210 on the USMLE 1s (the minimum pass is 185). So long as you review for your basic sciences. The same for St. Eustatius and other 2nd tier schools. Caribbean med schools had a great year this year. My one friend who attended MUA didn't get into a residency match, but scrambled and lo and behold he matched for a Family Practice residency in Georgia.

Good luck to my fellow carib colleagues. Stay HUNGRY and work for it ;)

drjds

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Same for St. James; the class of 2008 matched most of their students; and we have over 150 students doing clinical rotations in the US. They key is to score over 210 on the USMLE 1s (the minimum pass is 185). So long as you review for your basic sciences. The same for St. Eustatius and other 2nd tier schools. Caribbean med schools had a great year this year. My one friend who attended MUA didn't get into a residency match, but scrambled and lo and behold he matched for a Family Practice residency in Georgia.

Good luck to my fellow carib colleagues. Stay HUNGRY and work for it ;)

Do you know why your friend did not match, but had to scramble? Was it because of his scores, the school, etc?

Baller Status

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i know that there are no specific stats about this topic but does anyone know what are the approx % of canadians carib students who get the residency every year

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm an SGU grad and I just found out I matched today. So its definitely possible for Caribbean grads to obtain residency in the US.

Where did u match and in what field? Congrats!!!