Residency App - "Each publication will add one point to board score" BS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HDaddyDollarz

Class of 2017
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I overheard some MS3 today stating "each research pub basically adds on one point to your step 1 score" for residency considerations......is there any merit/semblance of truth to this? or is this total hogwash?

Members don't see this ad.

I overheard some MS3 today stating "each research pub basically adds on one point to your step 1 score" for residency considerations......is there any merit/semblance of truth to this? or is this total hogwash?

Never heard of it. At our (psychiatry residency) program, publications, extracurrics, etc were a nice bonus to consider for candidates who were already being considered on the basis of grades, scores, and letters.

This makes no sense. The range for Step 1 score (0-300) is pretty big, and most people fall between 180-250, with a mean of about 210. 6 papers would be tremendous for an MD/PhD student, but it won't make any difference in your application if your Step 1 score is "bumped" only 6 points. IMHO, each publication is worth significantly MORE than 1 point on the USMLE (in terms of getting you accepted with everything else being equal), but this is heavily dependent on your specialty and program.

Members don't see this ad :)
This makes no sense. The range for Step 1 score (0-300) is pretty big, and most people fall between 180-250, with a mean of about 210. 6 papers would be tremendous for an MD/PhD student, but it won't make any difference in your application if your Step 1 score is "bumped" only 6 points. IMHO, each publication is worth significantly MORE than 1 point on the USMLE (in terms of getting you accepted with everything else being equal), but this is heavily dependent on your specialty and program.

DO you think review papers hold the same value