Residency Applicant Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Praziquantel86

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For everyone who is currently playing the waiting game and wants to let loose...

I for one know that I will never rely on the USPS to do anything efficiently, inexpensively, or correctly again. I'm a FedEx man now.

Members don't see this ad.

KI was considering starting a similar thread. Pity party time!

USPS express mail is the only "guaranteed" option; I think priority is convienent and a good value compared to fedex or ups ground service but delivery time is highly variable with priority. Not to mention, hospital mail rooms/receiving is not exactly the best department.

Also I have huge anxiety that I wont get interviews bc all of my apps are for top tier programs and my GPA/extracurriculars are lacking to say the least.

Also I have huge anxiety that I wont get interviews bc all of my apps are for top tier programs and my GPA/extracurriculars are lacking to say the least.

Why not apply to a variety of programs? Were you just not interested in non-top tier?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea I'm a little stressed...the application to one of my top programs was due 1/2/11 and I checked with all of my references by 12/31 to make sure they were all sent out (they told me they were - all by e-mail so shouldn't have been delayed). The program e-mailed me yesterday telling me they hadn't received one of the letters yet, yikes...

I used USPS First Class mail and got a "proof of mailing" certificate to demonstrate that I met the deadline. Of course, I'm only applying locally. I didn't use any kind of signature required delivery b/c the only thing it will tel you is that some random person in the mailroom of the hospital or organization signed for the package.

Meh, I'm not stressed at all. This is nothing compared to the stress I had about actually getting into pharmacy school. If this goes all wrong I'll go find a job instead.

Yea I'm a little stressed...the application to one of my top programs was due 1/2/11 and I checked with all of my references by 12/31 to make sure they were all sent out (they told me they were - all by e-mail so shouldn't have been delayed). The program e-mailed me yesterday telling me they hadn't received one of the letters yet, yikes...

I feel your pain. I was stressed because it was taking one of my letter writers for ever to submit letters and she didn't have the best response to my emails and calls. Then finally at the last minute, got a msg saying they were all submitted. I was finally relieved.

Then yesterday a program said they still hadn't received the letter. She was supposed to email them, so now I'm thinking she may have mailed them. Ugh.

Good luck everyone...what an exciting and nerve-wracking time!

Dumb question...for programs without app forms, do you put your match number on your CV, LOI, or both? I just realized I may not have put it on apps that I already sent out. Then again if I get an interview I could just give it to them then?

Why not apply to a variety of programs? Were you just not interested in non-top tier?

I'm applying to 10 programs, hoping to get at least 1 local and 3 out-of-state interviews at the very least. I have pretty decent hospital experience (or so i'd like to think) so I'm hoping that'll be extra points. I guess I'm a sucker for prestige and "hard" (or shall i say rigorous/comprehensive) programs.

:luck: Good luck to all of you! :luck:

Have you heard anything about the # of expected applicants this year? One director said they've already received double over what they got last year for hospital PGY-1. Made me very, VERY glad that I'm not going through this right now.

:luck: Good luck to all of you! :luck:

Have you heard anything about the # of expected applicants this year? One director said they've already received double over what they got last year for hospital PGY-1. Made me very, VERY glad that I'm not going through this right now.

My director's mailbox is currently overflowing, but I don't know what it was like last year. I'm applying to PGY2s. My rejection said they got more applications than normal. My interview offer said nothing about how many applicants they got.

Heard from 2, waiting for 5 more!

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck gang!

Long ago when residencies were much less competitive, I applied to eight programs:) and got interview invites to five,:oops: but only got accepted to one:mad:- my fourth choice, a brand new residency program in a less than desirable city. I made the best of it, and it clearly worked out for the best- my preceptor remains a trusted friend and is still an excellent resource all these years later.

Go get 'em!

Anxiously waiting. I missed the deadline on one because I neglected to notice that the app deadline was 1/3, but the LOR deadline was 1/7. I read 1/7 for both.:oops: Got an email yesterday telling me I still needed 2 LORs for a program with a 1/15 deadline, so I'll have to email the writers to make sure they got out. Otherwise, it's the waiting game.

I feel that dealing with recommendations has been my biggest problem throughout this process. I am a little nervous about the number of places I have applied to. Current residents told me that they applied to about 5 -6 places, so I followed their advice. Some of my classmates applied to more than 10 programs, so now I am questioning whether I was too picky about my programs. Only one interview offer so far - very anxious to hear from the rest.

I feel nervous for everybody just reading this. OMG...I am so glad I am not doing it. More power to the people willing to go through that extra year...or two.

This waiting game is killer. I have not heard back from any programs yet. I open my e-mail all day long on rotation.

So anyone end up applying to any Managed care (Caremark, Medco, Blue Cross) or IHS residency programs?

The contact for one program is apparently on vacation. I emailed my app a day late, but figured it couldn't hurt. Worst they could do is round-file it. Today, I get a call saying they got my transcript and 2 LORs, but had no application and wanted to know if I was still interested in applying. I explained that I emailed it to the contact person listed on the residency's natmatch page. That's when I found out he's on vacation. They gave me an email address, which I immediately resent my app stuff to. About an hour later, I get a call asking for an interview. Weirdest part is, I have no idea how they got my phone #. I did attend their tour, so maybe it was from that.:confused: Completely random experience to go from no app to interview in one hour.

The contact for one program is apparently on vacation. I emailed my app a day late, but figured it couldn't hurt. Worst they could do is round-file it. Today, I get a call saying they got my transcript and 2 LORs, but had no application and wanted to know if I was still interested in applying. I explained that I emailed it to the contact person listed on the residency's natmatch page. That's when I found out he's on vacation. They gave me an email address, which I immediately resent my app stuff to. About an hour later, I get a call asking for an interview. Weirdest part is, I have no idea how they got my phone #. I did attend their tour, so maybe it was from that.:confused: Completely random experience to go from no app to interview in one hour.

That is awesome, congrats man!

I feel that dealing with recommendations has been my biggest problem throughout this process. I am a little nervous about the number of places I have applied to. Current residents told me that they applied to about 5 -6 places, so I followed their advice. Some of my classmates applied to more than 10 programs, so now I am questioning whether I was too picky about my programs. Only one interview offer so far - very anxious to hear from the rest.

I think 5-6 is a good number. 10 sounds like a lot in my opinion, but whatever makes them comfortable!

Deadlines for me was this past Friday. Yesterday I got 2 interview invites by email. Pretty excited!

10 is waayy too much don't worry about it...the stats are right there on the website...only 38 out of about 1800 matched to their 5th or greater choice. Of all the people that matched, most matched to their top 3, a greater majority at their top choice. After that, the odds go way down. There is a waaayyy greater chance of not matching at all than matching to your 4th or 5th choice...dunno why some students can't use their heads.....I keep telling my classmates the same thing....I did 5.
They will waste a truck load of money going to interviews too....smh..:confused:

Last edited:
10 is waayy too much don't worry about it...the stats are right there on the website...only 38 out of about 1800 matched to their 5th or greater choice. Of all the people that matched, most matched to their top 3, a greater majority at their top choice. After that, the odds go way down. There is a waaayyy greater chance of not matching at all than matching to your 4th or 5th choice...dunno why some students can't use their heads.....I keep telling my classmates the same thing....I did 5.
They will waste a truck load of money going to interviews too....smh..:confused:

but isnt that assuming that one gets interivew offer at all the places they apply too?

but isnt that assuming that one gets interivew offer at all the places they apply too?

Yea....assuming you are a decent student, interviews aren't that hard to come by.....actually getting ranked is. So unless you are really sub-par, that instead trends everything into the negative coz you will be competing with better candidates at 10+ sites.. except of course the sites are ridiculously unpopular (maybe new sites?)

Yea....assuming you are a decent student, interviews aren't that hard to come by.....actually getting ranked is. So unless you are really sub-par, that instead trends everything into the negative coz you will be competing with better candidates at 10+ sites.. except of course the sites are ridiculously unpopular (maybe new sites?)

what do you mean, as in getting matched? or deciding how to rank the sites?

what do you mean, as in getting matched? or deciding how to rank the sites?

They mean actually getting ranked by a particular site after an interview. As in, they interview 50 applicants and have 3 positions, therefore only rank 3 of those applicants.

They mean actually getting ranked by a particular site after an interview. As in, they interview 50 applicants and have 3 positions, therefore only rank 3 of those applicants.

so wouldnt this give more credence to applying to more residencies, to improve one's chances?

Not necessarily. The match favors the students preferences so its possible that a site's top 3 match somewhere else, so in an essence they have to rank more then 3 candidates

This seems excessive. Has anyone heard of a residency that interviews that many applicants (for the same residency- not for all of their PGY1 and PGY2 residencies combined)? The most I've heard is 25, and that is a site that takes 4 residents.

I don't believe that interviews are that easy to come by unless you are applying to hospitals that aren't large teaching hospitals, aren't in a city, or aren't a major VA.

Also, judging by my director's mailbox, we'll be sending out many more rejections than interview invitations.

I know this is just my experience, but I thought I should throw another opinion out there.

This seems excessive. Has anyone heard of a residency that interviews that many applicants (for the same residency- not for all of their PGY1 and PGY2 residencies combined)? The most I've heard is 25, and that is a site that takes 4 residents.

I don't believe that interviews are that easy to come by unless you are applying to hospitals that aren't large teaching hospitals, aren't in a city, or aren't a major VA.

Also, judging by my director's mailbox, we'll be sending out many more rejections than interview invitations.

I know this is just my experience, but I thought I should throw another opinion out there.

I interviewed at one PGY1 site that interviewed 32 candidates for 4 positions. I would say 25-30 for 4-6 spots is pretty average.

I was just throwing out numbers, and yea I realize they rank more than just the 3 spots. I was just commenting on how its more difficult to get ranked high at a program than just get an interview.

I applied to 7 programs, 3 of which are peds hospitals. I have received 2 interviews so far.

Also, OU received 59 applicants for the residency program, which apparently is a record setting number. Another local hospital that I am very familiar and in close contact with has received around 10 applications, and they only received one last year, if that gives you an idea of how everything has blown up.

So I've given up trying to anticipate which programs will be most and least responsive to my application. I got my first 4 responses all within the space of about 5 minutes: two interviews, and two "thanks, but no thanks".

What's baffling though, is that the let downs came from what I considered my sure bets for an interview, and the interviews came from what I considered to be my long shots!

Well, it's a relief to know that I at least got two interviews. I knew someone who applied to 9 last year and didn't get a single interview!

Yay my first interview request haha. Just waiting to hear anything back from the other 6...happy to at least have 1 so far!

Heard from 2/5. Nervous because I haven't heard from the others yet, and they are my top choices. Sure I will hear something next week...just hope its good news!

I have received 1 interview invite so far...I am excited to have 1!

Another interview invite by email today! Surprised me being a Saturday and all. Top 2 choices still pending though....

Disagree. Most places interview ~4 people for each spot. Many programs get more than 10 apps per spot. We got 150 for 11.

What? They rank as many as they want to, not just as many as they have spots for. So much misinformation!

Disagree. Most places interview ~4 people for each spot. Many programs get more than 10 apps per spot. We got 150 for 11.

so scoring a interview is a big deal then? if that makes one's chances 1 in 4 at that time

can you comment on if applying to more residency is good/bad idea?

so scoring a interview is a big deal then? if that makes one's chances 1 in 4 at that time

Applying to more than one is a very, very good idea. If you bank on one program, you're more than likely going to be SOL.

I would say that more is better, within reason. No more than 10. Remember that if you're flying, each interview is going to cost you ~$500 between flight hotel, rental car, etc.

I'm halfway through Pgy-2 and still paying the credit card bills from my 9 Pgy-1 interviews.

Applying to more than one is a very, very good idea. If you bank on one program, you're more than likely going to be SOL.

yea def. there is more than 1 i applied to, but i cant decide what is a good # :thumbdown:

I would say that more is better, within reason. No more than 10. Remember that if you're flying, each interview is going to cost you ~$500 between flight hotel, rental car, etc.

I'm halfway through Pgy-2 and still paying the credit card bills from my 9 Pgy-1 interviews.

everything i applied is within driving distance, i calculated it to my financial abilities

but I am trying to establish the value of scoring a interview, if they do 4 per spot, then its huge. whereas i have heard the # to be much higher from other people (of course they could be misinformed or i just misheard them)

everything i applied is within driving distance, i calculated it to my financial abilities

but I am trying to establish the value of scoring a interview, if they do 4 per spot, then its huge. whereas i have heard the # to be much higher from other people (of course they could be misinformed or i just misheard them)

I think it averages out to around 4-5 per PGY-1 spot, based on what I've been hearing from classmates, residents, program directors and personal experience.

As far as the number to apply to goes, that's something I struggled with. I'm applying to more competitive, well-known programs, so I ended up applying to more than was probably necessary. If you're applying to more local, less well-known programs, then less is probably good. The cutoff I've always heard is 10, just due to the burden it places on your recommenders and the logistics of getting to that number of interviews.

What? They rank as many as they want to, not just as many as they have spots for. So much misinformation!

As I said a few posts down, I was just throwing out numbers as an example of what someone meant by getting ranked higher being tougher than getting an interview. I realize they actually rank more, that wasn't the point of my post so I didn't really think about it, typo more or less.