Residency at a children's hospital better?

Started by bel138
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bel138

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
New poster here. Just looking into peds programs for the upcoming year and wanted to get an opinion.

Do you think that residencies based in children's hospitals are better? I don't even know how to elaborate on "better." More opportunities? Better continuity of care? Just overall different vibe?

I realize that programs that are not based in a children's hospital still have all the requisite components. Or things like NICU months at a nearby women's hospital. But somehow with my limited knowledge it seems that a residency based in a children's hospital would be more beneficial because, well, it's a whole hospital devoted to the munchkins.

Thanks!
 
New poster here. Just looking into peds programs for the upcoming year and wanted to get an opinion.

Do you think that residencies based in children's hospitals are better? I don't even know how to elaborate on "better." More opportunities? Better continuity of care? Just overall different vibe?

I realize that programs that are not based in a children's hospital still have all the requisite components. Or things like NICU months at a nearby women's hospital. But somehow with my limited knowledge it seems that a residency based in a children's hospital would be more beneficial because, well, it's a whole hospital devoted to the munchkins.

Thanks!

Good Question! I'm a resident at a general hospital (not a Children's hospital) and we also work a decent amount at the local Children's Hospital and spend one month at another (slightly more distant) Children's Hospital.

I think there are definite Pros/Cons:

Cons:
-You're hospital isn't built for kids. This can make things like getting an MRI, interpreting lab values, working with other departments, more challenging
-Your patients will be drawn to the title "Children's Hospital". While you and your peers can provide tremendous care, you won't have that label.
-You might be limited by your exposure. Children's hospitals have volume - that's why I still had to rotate through them. Also, a smaller hospital is more likely to be absent this subspecialty or that subspecialty
-Depending on the hospital, research opportunities are often more readily available at big children's hospitals.
-Same applies to fellowship programs. You'll likely work with fellowship directors face to face at some point in time during your residency.

Pros:
-Small programs generally mean you get more teaching and attention. At my hospital after the cardiologist does an echo s/he comes to give me a verbal report: "some TR, but not what's causing the problem" at other places I've literally seen it take days to get any news on an echo
-You'll likely get more chance to think and act independently. At large Children's Hospitals, admissions go through an ER staff doc, then a hospitalist attending carrying a page, and then finally to a resident. At my place (just an example) the ER consults peds and we go down, make an assessment, talk to our attendings via phone if we have questions and make the call. You get to be the one laying eyes on the kid and making a plan. At bigger places you are more of a plug-n-play system
-You're less likely to have fellows at a General Hospital - this means more chance to learn procedures and manage patients on your own.
-There's no room to hide in a small program. At a huge program, people can more easily squeeze through the cracks and still suck. We've all seen that resident, that sucks. In a small place they don't get that herd protection and need to rise up to meet those expectations.


These are a few of my random thoughts. I'm happy with program I'm at and I've seen both really good and TERRIBLE peds residency programs at dedicated Children's Hospitals.
 
I think BNPG has summed it up well. Also, I think BNPG sounds like a test we might order. As in, "today the patient's BNPG was checked, and it seems to be trending up, so we should probably go ahead and give Cards a call to see if they want to Echo now or have him f/u at the Children's Hospital in 2 weeks."

Anyway, I like being at a dedicated hospital because the culture and vibe are more child-friendly. The whole hospital seems happier than adult counterparts in the area (same as IM vs. Peds residents, perhaps).

Also, getting IV access is a lot easier at the children's hospital. That becomes a big deals when you're the intern in the middle of the night and you can't give Vanc until the nurse or you or some miracle worker gets a new PIV in that former 29 weeker. Here the miracle workers are called the "Vascular Access Team."
Like BNPG said, getting imaging and procedures done by radiology is much easier since they're used to sedating babies and stuff.

However, this is not necessarily the "real world." We've been warned by attendings to not get too used to this coddling and not forget how to do things ourselves, because the majority of pedi practitioners won't be working in a facility where everything is so easy and child-oriented.

So do residency in a program with 2+ training sites...I like getting exposed to both sides.