residency breakdown of years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Therese737

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that Rad.Oncolgy is 5 years total: One year internship in Internal Medicine or Family Medicine, then the reaming 4 years are in the Specialty (radiation oncology). Do I have to apply seperately for the one year internship, and then reapply all over again to a 4 year residency program in Radiation Oncology? Or is there a way that combine the two so that I only apply one time? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

if it's at all similar to radiology and anesthesia, some programs provide your intern year in a "categorical" package while others force you to find your own prelim year prior to beginning their "advanced" program. i would recommend searching on FREIDA to find more substantial info.

addendum
forgot to answer your other question. for programs with categorical positions, you only have to apply to those programs and you're set. for advanced programs, you apply to both the rad-onc residency and one or more prelim or transitional years, typically at the same time during your m4 year. of course, this means that you could potentially be doubling (or more) the number of interviews that you go on, but such is the nature of the beast.