Residency by Location

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rhg85

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm a second year medical student in the midwest; I'm originally from the East Coast, and have been pretty homesick since starting school. I am really hoping to match back closer to home, specifically NY, NJ, or MA in Anesthesiology or Emergency Medicine. Also, my partner is tied to the NY area, and I am hoping to be closer to him for residency.

Is there a way former students have found to match in a location they're interested in/have close ties to? For example, having a "backup" residency applications, or applying to categorical vs. advanced for anesthesia? Thanks in advance for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm hoping to match in a certain geographical location, so I used this site to make myself a list of every program within a 300 mile radius of where I want to be. That's roughly 5 hours of drive time, so if I match anywhere in that area my husband can keep his job and we can still see each other on days off without it being too cumbersome to travel.

Reactions: 1 users
Audition at the programs you are interested in 4th year if it’s a specialty that values them. If not you could try to reach out to the program third year for information on the program so they at least recognize your name when you apply.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
EM is probably a better bet for those areas as they are competitive and gas is becoming more competitive in itself.

Beware of the the EM job market and oversupply projections

If your CV doesn't make it clear that you are from that geographical area, see if you can weave it into your personal statement, especially if you cannot audition there. You can also check the ongoing research being conducted there and reach out to see if you can help. Many projects are looking for statisticians or writers that you can participate on remotely.