1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

residency clarification

Discussion in 'Military Medicine' started by HumptyDumptyMil, Feb 22, 2007.

1. HumptyDumptyMil

HumptyDumptyMil Almost done...
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    This may have been already mentioned in a previous thread, so I apologize ahead of time if this thread is redundant.

Do most, if not all, military and civilian residencies require a intern year? Also, when websites say there program is x amount of years, do they usually count the internship year if it's required?

I'm asking this b/c I am interested in ortho, and I have heard that it is usually a 5 year program. Does that mean I payback 5 years (5years of residency + intern year) or 4 years (4years of residency + intern year), if I choose a military residency?

2. colbgw02

colbgw02 Delightfully Tacky
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Strictly speaking, all residency have an intern year. Sometimes the residency as an inclusive internship (a first-year resident in IM, FP, Peds, GS). Then there are the "unassociated" internships, for specialties like radiology, dermatology, anesthesia. It's really just semantics.

You owe the military a year for every year of residency after internship. Internship is a wash. If you do a 5-year orthopaedic residency, then you will owe 4 years, which can be fulfilled simultaneously with a single prior obligation (HPSP, ROTC, an academy). That way, most people don't add years to their obligation because of residency.

The exceptions are 1) residencies that are longer than 5 years, like neurosurgery or general surgery with a research year and 2) GMOs who are going back to do a military residency that is longer than their remaining ADO.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. chaser08

chaser08 Junior Member
    Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    What happens if the residency is longer than 5 years? :confused:

4. psychbender

psychbender Cynical Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You pay back a number of years equal to the length of residency. If the residency is 5 years (after internship), then you owe five years AD.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...