residency clarification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HumptyDumptyMil

Almost done...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may have been already mentioned in a previous thread, so I apologize ahead of time if this thread is redundant.

Do most, if not all, military and civilian residencies require a intern year? Also, when websites say there program is x amount of years, do they usually count the internship year if it's required?

I'm asking this b/c I am interested in ortho, and I have heard that it is usually a 5 year program. Does that mean I payback 5 years (5years of residency + intern year) or 4 years (4years of residency + intern year), if I choose a military residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Strictly speaking, all residency have an intern year. Sometimes the residency as an inclusive internship (a first-year resident in IM, FP, Peds, GS). Then there are the "unassociated" internships, for specialties like radiology, dermatology, anesthesia. It's really just semantics.

You owe the military a year for every year of residency after internship. Internship is a wash. If you do a 5-year orthopaedic residency, then you will owe 4 years, which can be fulfilled simultaneously with a single prior obligation (HPSP, ROTC, an academy). That way, most people don't add years to their obligation because of residency.

The exceptions are 1) residencies that are longer than 5 years, like neurosurgery or general surgery with a research year and 2) GMOs who are going back to do a military residency that is longer than their remaining ADO.

The exceptions are 1) residencies that are longer than 5 years, like neurosurgery or general surgery with a research year and 2) GMOs who are going back to do a military residency that is longer than their remaining ADO.

What happens if the residency is longer than 5 years? :confused: