residency contract

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shal78

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a PGY-1 OB GYN resident. I'm looking for another program as PGY-2 starting July '08. My program director is forcing me to sign the contract for next year. Can someone tell me if I do sign the contract with the current program now and I get an offer at some other program in a month or so, can I break the contract and sign the new one? What are the consequences?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Does your current PD know you're looking for another spot?

In general, it's not a good idea to sign contracts that you'll likely be breaking later on.

There are several threads with similar questions listed at the bottom of the page.

As most will tell you,while the residency contract can be considered legally binding, most PDs will not pursue legal action against you. But it does behoove you to be honest with your PD and let them know of your plans to find another position as many will require an LOR from your current PD and will expect that your PD will support your choices in that letter.

Therefore, you *can* sign a contract and break it, but its pretty poor form if you know you will be leaving. I'd come up with a date by which you commit yourself to either staying at your current program (and hence signing the contract) or taking the chance that they will not renew your contract and you will be out of a job. It is not fair to them to string them along...ask for an extension, see what they give you and if they force you to sign the contract before you have another position, be aware that they can make your life miserable if you break it.

No, he doesn't know about my plans yet.... Should I tell him that I'm looking for a position and ask for the extension? Can a PD set a deadline to sign a contract? Can he force me in any way?

Thanks in Advance