Likelihood of medical license denial due to residency probation and contract non-renewal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IonClaws

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

The contract for my residency has been non-renewed after a prolonged period of probation. This had to do with competency issues and increased supervision requirements rather than something drug related, criminal or otherwise unethical.

How likely is this going to lead to a license denial? I really need to provide for my family in the interim before my next residency. The state is Ohio, if that makes a difference.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys

The contract for my residency has been non-renewed after a prolonged period of probation. This had to do with competency issues and increased supervision requirements rather than something drug related, criminal or otherwise unethical.

How likely is this going to lead to a license denial? I really need to provide for my family in the interim before my next residency. The state is Ohio, if that makes a difference.

You have at least intern year done? Should be ok, you’ll have to explain yourself.

If you can swing it (I understand money may be tight) I would highly recommend getting a lawyer in Ohio who is familiar with the licensing board to help you draft your explanations.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys

Not for OH provided you have received ACGME PGY-1 credit, completed Step 3, and have none of the bolded.

If you can swing it (I understand money may be tight) I would highly recommend getting a lawyer in Ohio who is familiar with the licensing board to help you draft your explanations.

Disagree with lawyer thing - getting a lawyer almost always blows up in your face in medicine. Lawyers don't understand the process, typically are overly aggressive, and it's rare that a licensing board won't grant a trainee license. Typically just showing remorse and that you have learned from your mistake is almost always enough to make it through. Having an overly aggressive lawyer will do nothing good. additionally medicine is highly subjective - there is no rule or law that says if an attending, etc "feels" you are not good cliniaclly that can be debated especially by a lawyer. i dont agree w the whole probation thing most of the time and we need a better system in medicine but lawyering up is the opposite of what one should do.

Reactions: 1 users
Disagree with lawyer thing - getting a lawyer almost always blows up in your face in medicine. Lawyers don't understand the process, typically are overly aggressive, and it's rare that a licensing board won't grant a trainee license. Typically just showing remorse and that you have learned from your mistake is almost always enough to make it through. Having an overly aggressive lawyer will do nothing good. additionally medicine is highly subjective - there is no rule or law that says if an attending, etc "feels" you are not good cliniaclly that can be debated especially by a lawyer. i dont agree w the whole probation thing most of the time and we need a better system in medicine but lawyering up is the opposite of what one should do.
Wrong. You know the old saw about the poker table? "If you look around for the sucker, and don't see one, you're the sucker." The medical board has lawyers right there. If you don't have one, you've come to a gun fight not with a knife, but harsh words only.

Reactions: 4 users
I disagree with this greatly. As pointed out the board has lawyers. They're also extremely used to working with doctors' representation, as a lot of docs will get a lawyer for dealing with the board on just about anything on principle.

If you find the right firm, the attorney and the board will already know each other and have worked together in the past.

I could see what you're saying if you got an attorney with no experience.

To my knowledge just about every state has at least one firm that basically specializes in this.

Lastly, you can have a talk with any attorney to get advice, and no one has to know. You can get advice from an attorney and make it very clear you want it behind the scenes. There's some instances of paperwork where you have to reveal someone helped you, but otherwise seeking legal counsel can be as discreet as you make it.

Ultimately an attorney is there to advise, much like physicians with their patients. The extent to which that is controlled is up to the person receiving the advice and responsible for the bill.

I disagree with this greatly. As pointed out the board has lawyers. They're also extremely used to working with doctors' representation, as a lot of docs will get a lawyer for dealing with the board on just about anything on principle.

If you find the right firm, the attorney and the board will already know each other and have worked together in the past.

I could see what you're saying if you got an attorney with no experience.

To my knowledge just about every state has at least one firm that basically specializes in this.

Lastly, you can have a talk with any attorney to get advice, and no one has to know. You can get advice from an attorney and make it very clear you want it behind the scenes. There's some instances of paperwork where you have to reveal someone helped you, but otherwise seeking legal counsel can be as discreet as you make it.

Ultimately an attorney is there to advise, much like physicians with their patients. The extent to which that is controlled is up to the person receiving the advice and responsible for the bill.

I can respect we have different views. Yes attorneys are there to "advise" but unlike the physician patient relationship, where the physician is able to treat and is sort of able to do "something" for the patient and the patient ultimately decides, an attorney really has no decision making power - ultimately a judge or in this case the board will decide. The lawyer him/herself has no authority. And in cases where attorneys are involved in licenses it's generally at the attending/unrestricted license, not the training license. Once someone starts on the lawyer train, it typically goes down from there. Most physicians, once patients starting threatening lawsuits, will typically refer them to legal and discontinue further treating relationship except for life or death.

I meant more that just because someone gives you advice doesn't mean you have to take it.

I always disagree when a patient says I'm "making" them stay in the hospital or take a medication. I don't make patients do anything, and neither does an attorney. And much as the outcome of a case is not up to the attorney, neither are many of our outcomes up to us, either. In both instances someone has a problem, and they are trying to receive expert advice on what to do to try to get a desired outcome. But they don't have to take that advice, and experts can't always predict outcomes.

Both physicians and attorneys can fire patients/clients, and vice versa.

I don't agree with how you're applying the analogy I was using.

I meant more that just because someone gives you advice doesn't mean you have to take it.

I always disagree when a patient says I'm "making" them stay in the hospital or take a medication. I don't make patients do anything, and neither does an attorney. And much as the outcome of a case is not up to the attorney, neither are many of our outcomes up to us, either. In both instances someone has a problem, and they are trying to receive expert advice on what to do to try to get a desired outcome. But they don't have to take that advice, and experts can't always predict outcomes.

Both physicians and attorneys can fire patients/clients, and vice versa.

I don't agree with how you're applying the analogy I was using.

I can respect that we disagree on this.

I am applying for a full unrestricted license rather than a trainee license. Not sure how much of a difference that makes.

Reactions: 1 user
I can respect we have different views. Yes attorneys are there to "advise" but unlike the physician patient relationship, where the physician is able to treat and is sort of able to do "something" for the patient and the patient ultimately decides, an attorney really has no decision making power - ultimately a judge or in this case the board will decide. The lawyer him/herself has no authority. And in cases where attorneys are involved in licenses it's generally at the attending/unrestricted license, not the training license. Once someone starts on the lawyer train, it typically goes down from there. Most physicians, once patients starting threatening lawsuits, will typically refer them to legal and discontinue further treating relationship except for life or death.
So are you giving this advice from experience? You are on a medical licensing board?

I am applying for a full unrestricted license rather than a trainee license. Not sure how much of a difference that makes.
Lots...training licenses are generally pro forma...you are in a training program and your program is vouching for you...unrestricted licenses are different... most are fairly straightforward, but if there are issues... they can be picky.

Lots...training licenses are generally pro forma...you are in a training program and your program is vouching for you...unrestricted licenses are different... most are fairly straightforward, but if there are issues... they can be picky.
Yeah, that's why I'm asking. I'm wondering how much of an issue this is going to be for my state. I know Texas is a PITA but I don't know about Ohio. If you have any input for my situation I would appreciate that.

Yeah, that's why I'm asking. I'm wondering how much of an issue this is going to be for my state. I know Texas is a PITA but I don't know about Ohio. If you have any input for my situation I would appreciate that.

Trust me, OP. You will be fine. You have met the licensing requirements having completed PGY-1 and presumably completed USMLE Step exams with no character-related issues. You also have a supportive PD who is your chief reference for licensing issues. You very likely have nothing but people willing to vouch for you at your old program. This will be a non-issue. You are making a mountain out of a molehill. That being said, document everything that happened at your previous program in your licensing application. Lying/missing information can be grounds for consequences later.

Trust me, OP. You will be fine. You have met the licensing requirements having completed PGY-1 and presumably completed USMLE Step exams with no character-related issues. You also have a supportive PD who is your chief reference for licensing issues. You very likely have nothing but people willing to vouch for you at your old program. This will be a non-issue. You are making a mountain out of a molehill. That being said, document everything that happened at your previous program in your licensing application. Lying/missing information can be grounds for consequences later.
Has the OP said their PD was supportive of this?

Has the OP said their PD was supportive of this?
OPs PD has said something along the lines of ///he doesn’t know how to describe how unhappy he is that it has come to this/// and I’m guessing was in his corner and given that OP literally has to start fresh and change fields, after completing PGY-3 that the PD would be very supportive.

I thought once your program gives you credit for the year you complete, the state should not deny you a license.

Last edited:
The license isn’t a runner stamp... boards can be as lenient or strict as they choose.
I understand that. But what I dont get is why would they deny him if he got credit for PGY1 and had no other issues. Maybe OP should find a state that is lenient (probably MN, Wisconsin etc...) and then uses endorsement to be licensed in other states.

I understand that. But what I dont get is why would they deny him if he got credit for PGY1 and had no other issues. Maybe OP should find a state that is lenient (probably MN, Wisconsin etc...) and then uses endorsement to be licensed in other states.

Agreed, I don't know what's with all this interview, etc. business. I know what happened from previous threads. This situation seems strange to me.

I completely disagree. Having a lawyer greatly helps because then the board is on notice that there can be litigation

I completely disagree. Having a lawyer greatly helps because then the board is on notice that there can be litigation

The board won't care if there is litigation. The board will also have a lawyer. The board has far more money and decision making possibility than the applicant. And ultimately neither lawyer determines anything - only a judge will determine a final outcome. Litigation is expensive and takes a long time - you are potentially looking at months- years, and most likely than not a judge will side with whoever comes up with the "for the safety of the public" argument - which most likely will be the board, with its panel of board certified doctors and other members.

The board won't care if there is litigation. The board will also have a lawyer. The board has far more money and decision making possibility than the applicant. And ultimately neither lawyer determines anything - only a judge will determine a final outcome. Litigation is expensive and takes a long time - you are potentially looking at months- years, and most likely than not a judge will side with whoever comes up with the "for the safety of the public" argument - which most likely will be the board, with its panel of board certified doctors and other members.
This is a common misconception that these places don't care because "they have lawyers and money." The fact is that nobody wants to be involved in litigation because it costs money. If you start denying left and right and start putting up those lawyer bills, you bet they will fire you quickly as president/CEO/whatever. You bet if even one case costs you 20k and you don't have a good enough justifiable reason for your board or boss will have your ass. There's a reason most cases get settled, and it is not because people think they will lose

This is a common misconception that these places don't care because "they have lawyers and money." The fact is that nobody wants to be involved in litigation because it costs money. If you start denying left and right and start putting up those lawyer bills, you bet they will fire you quickly as president/CEO/whatever. You bet if even one case costs you 20k and you don't have a good enough justifiable reason for your board or boss will have your ass. There's a reason most cases get settled, and it is not because people think they will lose

Sure no one wants litigation (with rare exceptions), but most boards are also not petty and don't just deny licenses because they have nothing better to do.

I still don't get why the board would deny license if you check all the boxes.

Sure no one wants litigation (with rare exceptions), but most boards are also not petty and don't just deny licenses because they have nothing better to do.
Oh, they'll make sure to dot every i and cross every t if you got a lawyer. Believe me, when you have no power, people are dismissive. You're a doctor just like me and you damn well know there's a number of doctors that will give a patient the best possible evidence-based medicine the moment they know that patient's husband or dad is a doctor, but if you're a rando, some doctors will cut corners. Boards work the same way. They don't care if **** gets delayed for you

Settling is where the "little guy" can come ahead - meaning negotiate to have things for going somewhat more quietly, than had you not had a lawyer looking out for your interests at all. Lawyers can do a LOT of damage control for you when it comes to dealing with the board or employer. Sure, they can't usually make it so you keep your job or retain/are granted your license if TPTB want to get you gone. Often concessions can be made from the big guy to the little guy for settling and limiting everyone's possible liabilities and costs.

I have a few concrete examples for you.

The board investigator called the physician directly in order to get that doc to talk unrepresented to the board, likely to dig the grave deeper about something going on. The attorney put the smack down on that, and all statements of information were made by letters the attorney drafted, limiting the amount of ammo the physician was forced to give the board to use against them. It might me speculative for me to say specifically how this may have helped the outcome for this physician. It didn't seem to make matters any worse in outcome, and at minimum the physician had peace of mind about what they were saying to the board. Controlling what one says to a board, may affect consequences not only from that board based on that, but also what information would be transferred to future boards.

Another example, the board wanted a physician's medical records. The physician initially balked at this, however they had their own attorney affirm that the board could just subpoena the records and it wouldn't do the physician any favors not to just provide them on request. In this way, the physician having their own attorney actually may have deescalated the situation. The physician signed over the records with confidence it was the right (because it was the only) move.

Another example, resident was being forced to resign, attorney negotiated a neutral to positive rec letter from PD and others in program, sealed employment records (with the gathered damning info for forcing resignation), an NDA (program couldn't badmouth resident), and even negotiated a severance.

There can be something to gain if you have enough legal legs to stand on to potentially cause trouble, and instead of doing that, one uses an attorney's advice to de-escalate the situation, which is ironic because in some ways it can be the threat of action that brings about a settlement. Like mutually assured destruction keeping the peace.

Settling is where the "little guy" can come ahead - meaning negotiate to have things for going somewhat more quietly, than had you not had a lawyer looking out for your interests at all. Lawyers can do a LOT of damage control for you when it comes to dealing with the board or employer. Sure, they can't usually make it so you keep your job or retain/are granted your license if TPTB want to get you gone. Often concessions can be made from the big guy to the little guy for settling and limiting everyone's possible liabilities and costs.

I have a few concrete examples for you.

The board investigator called the physician directly in order to get that doc to talk unrepresented to the board, likely to dig the grave deeper about something going on. The attorney put the smack down on that, and all statements of information were made by letters the attorney drafted, limiting the amount of ammo the physician was forced to give the board to use against them. It might me speculative for me to say specifically how this may have helped the outcome for this physician. It didn't seem to make matters any worse in outcome, and at minimum the physician had peace of mind about what they were saying to the board. Controlling what one says to a board, may affect consequences not only from that board based on that, but also what information would be transferred to future boards.

Another example, the board wanted a physician's medical records. The physician initially balked at this, however they had their own attorney affirm that the board could just subpoena the records and it wouldn't do the physician any favors not to just provide them on request. In this way, the physician having their own attorney actually may have deescalated the situation. The physician signed over the records with confidence it was the right (because it was the only) move.

Another example, resident was being forced to resign, attorney negotiated a neutral to positive rec letter from PD and others in program, sealed employment records (with the gathered damning info for forcing resignation), an NDA (program couldn't badmouth resident), and even negotiated a severance.

There can be something to gain if you have enough legal legs to stand on to potentially cause trouble, and instead of doing that, one uses an attorney's advice to de-escalate the situation, which is ironic because in some ways it can be the threat of action that brings about a settlement. Like mutually assured destruction keeping the peace.
I just dont get why anyone would advise against having lawyer when dealing with any BOM (aka a bunch of zealot individuals)? There might be some downside but upside outweighs the downside.

I just dont get why anyone would advise against having lawyer when dealing with any BOM (aka a bunch of zealot individuals)? There might be some downside but upside outweighs the downside.

Because most of the time at the end of the day it likely won't help and likely will hurt ultimately. Medicine in particular is an obscure type of field where it's so complex that it's almost undetangeable to the outside world. Look up all the cases of residents who have sued - and you will see most have lost. I'm not saying that inappropriate things don't happen in medicine - they do all the time sadly. But because so much is subjective in medicine most of the time it wont make a difference and it will likely increase the tension. There have been multiple cases - take a look for example at Maria Artunduaga who s ued U of C - years of litigation for her to lose andhave to pay the university's fees. There have been numerous others. Why? Because at the end of the day it's almost impossible if a program wants you out to contradict and refute the "thoughts" or "subjective feeling" that an attending, etc has about a resident.
Think of it this way - resident gets put on probation - just or not. IF the program says you are out because we dont feel you are clinically appropirate, patient safety concern, etc - it can be argued a trillion ways but at the end of the day the program will win - because a court, etc has no way to truly contradict this. Is a court going to say no resident so and so is competent, we are going to ignore all the experienced physicians and refute what they say? no. Also again realize that lawyers have no power - only a judge determines an outcome. And a judge will always rule on the side of patient safety/care etc. Is it fair? not necessarily. Are residents who shouldn't be thrown out thrown out at times? yes.
At the end of the day OP can do what they feel is right. In my view getting a lawyer generally wont help things and likelyw ill hurt things.

Because most of the time at the end of the day it likely won't help and likely will hurt ultimately. Medicine in particular is an obscure type of field where it's so complex that it's almost undetangeable to the outside world. Look up all the cases of residents who have sued - and you will see most have lost. I'm not saying that inappropriate things don't happen in medicine - they do all the time sadly. But because so much is subjective in medicine most of the time it wont make a difference and it will likely increase the tension. There have been multiple cases - take a look for example at Maria Artunduaga who s ued U of C - years of litigation for her to lose andhave to pay the university's fees. There have been numerous others. Why? Because at the end of the day it's almost impossible if a program wants you out to contradict and refute the "thoughts" or "subjective feeling" that an attending, etc has about a resident.
Think of it this way - resident gets put on probation - just or not. IF the program says you are out because we dont feel you are clinically appropirate, patient safety concern, etc - it can be argued a trillion ways but at the end of the day the program will win - because a court, etc has no way to truly contradict this. Is a court going to say no resident so and so is competent, we are going to ignore all the experienced physicians and refute what they say? no. Also again realize that lawyers have no power - only a judge determines an outcome. And a judge will always rule on the side of patient safety/care etc. Is it fair? not necessarily. Are residents who shouldn't be thrown out thrown out at times? yes.
At the end of the day OP can do what they feel is right. In my view getting a lawyer generally wont help things and likelyw ill hurt things.
This is bordering on irrational fear mongering and I just don't see the basis. I have given concrete examples of the way representation can help a physician with a board or their employer.

I think the cases you cite where residents brought cases and it went badly for them, do not in any way represent the bulk of the work attorneys do in representing physicians to the board or their employers. I am basing this on the fact that from what I can tell just about every state has at least one law firm that seems totally dedicated to representing physicians outside of malpractice issues. I also always see advice from attendings to get an attorney when signing any employment or practice contract and have it reviewed. I don't know why one would only consult proactively and not after issues with employment arise.

It's standard for physicians to get representation in dealing with malpractice, and it isn't odd in any way for most employees of this country to also get representation when having issues with a boss or regulatory body.

But sure, say to all these law firms that make a living year after year specializing in representing physicians in this way to boards or employers, that they have no idea how to detangle the relevant laws. That's just a load of crap.

Residents and programs are somewhat of an outlier here, yes, that part is true. But NOT in being represented to the board. There are enough attending physicians dealing with the board for attorneys who do this routinely. Those same ones can be, and should be, tapped by residents dealing with a board.

I think the outlier cases involving physicians are these resident cases with their programs. Likely an inexperienced attorney and an overly litigious resident that is acting emotionally and doesn't really understand what they could actually hope to attain realistically, and that is where a forum like SDN can do a lot to recalibrate their expectations if they're willing to listen to reason and experience their attorney may not have.

I don't see anyone here suggesting that an attorney is going to help a resident stay at a program that wants them gone, or even get a license a board doesn't want to grant. That's a far cry to saying the attorney has no utility.

It may be worth the $ to some residents (and it is actually a drop in the bucket compared to all their loans) to possibly have the peace of mind to know that they got everything they could reasonably have negotiated for, and that they didn't make it overly easy for a program to be sloppy in terminating them. Make them cross the is and ts. Doesn't mean it has to devolve into making the situation worse.

Couple this with the fact that your attorney in your corner doesn't even have to be known to the program until things are so far gone between you that it's very difficult to really make the relationship any more of a non-starter than it already is. And it all depends on how you personally handle the whole thing start to end and how you handle your attorney.

Admittedly some of these residents failing out in the professional sphere may not be well equipped on a personal level to handle the situation overall. That's different than acting like attorneys don't do this kind of work, or like just the act of getting an attorney sours things with the board (extremely false), or a hospital HR. Programs may be more sensitive to it.

I mean, you're making decent points about how not to use an attorney, but it's a little baby with the bathwater to try to generalize to saying a resident shouldn't get one as a matter of course. I think it would be the exception not the rule not to even consult with one in many cases.

And in any case your point that attorneys can't help when I know several that are old hat at this, deserves refutation for being 100% demonstrably untrue.

You say that you're basing this on well known residents cases gone bad. I can think of why those cases are the ones you hear about. But the nature of cases settled out of court, and very common issues between board and physicians are such that you wouldn't.

I'm also curious if you personally know physicians that have experience being represented by attorneys to the board or to their programs, or how you are coming to the generalized conclusion that simply seeking the private counsel of an attorney is this major danger step.

Lastly, we didn't touch on at all that a very common situation that causes tensions between physicians and their employers/the board, often involves concerns about physical/mental health/substance use, and also other not terribly uncommon criminal issues (DUI is one that comes to mind, but other legal missteps are made by docs not hugely uncommonly). It is very common, and well-advised enough, that in such cases a physician absolutely consult an attorney. These issues are often a factor for residents falling out of favor as well.

The idea that a physician in any situation should just prostrate themselves before any regulatory body or employer to purposefully leave themselves at the tender mercies one may beg of them, to the point of not even consulting an attorney with relevant experience, so awful that I will fight the very idea with every fiber of my being. It is awful. It is possible to go wrong with an attorney, but not for the simple fact you consulted or were represented by one.

This is bordering on irrational fear mongering and I just don't see the basis. I have given concrete examples of the way representation can help a physician with a board or their employer.

I think the cases you cite where residents brought cases and it went badly for them, do not in any way represent the bulk of the work attorneys do in representing physicians to the board or their employers. I am basing this on the fact that from what I can tell just about every state has at least one law firm that seems totally dedicated to representing physicians outside of malpractice issues. I also always see advice from attendings to get an attorney when signing any employment or practice contract and have it reviewed. I don't know why one would only consult proactively and not after issues with employment arise.

It's standard for physicians to get representation in dealing with malpractice, and it isn't odd in any way for most employees of this country to also get representation when having issues with a boss or regulatory body.

But sure, say to all these law firms that make a living year after year specializing in representing physicians in this way to boards or employers, that they have no idea how to detangle the relevant laws. That's just a load of crap.

Residents and programs are somewhat of an outlier here, yes, that part is true. But NOT in being represented to the board. There are enough attending physicians dealing with the board for attorneys who do this routinely. Those same ones can be, and should be, tapped by residents dealing with a board.

I think the outlier cases involving physicians are these resident cases with their programs. Likely an inexperienced attorney and an overly litigious resident that is acting emotionally and doesn't really understand what they could actually hope to attain realistically, and that is where a forum like SDN can do a lot to recalibrate their expectations if they're willing to listen to reason and experience their attorney may not have.

I don't see anyone here suggesting that an attorney is going to help a resident stay at a program that wants them gone, or even get a license a board doesn't want to grant. That's a far cry to saying the attorney has no utility.

It may be worth the $ to some residents (and it is actually a drop in the bucket compared to all their loans) to possibly have the peace of mind to know that they got everything they could reasonably have negotiated for, and that they didn't make it overly easy for a program to be sloppy in terminating them. Make them cross the is and ts. Doesn't mean it has to devolve into making the situation worse.

Couple this with the fact that your attorney in your corner doesn't even have to be known to the program until things are so far gone between you that it's very difficult to really make the relationship any more of a non-starter than it already is. And it all depends on how you personally handle the whole thing start to end and how you handle your attorney.

Admittedly some of these residents failing out in the professional sphere may not be well equipped on a personal level to handle the situation overall. That's different than acting like attorneys don't do this kind of work, or like just the act of getting an attorney sours things with the board (extremely false), or a hospital HR. Programs may be more sensitive to it.

I mean, you're making decent points about how not to use an attorney, but it's a little baby with the bathwater to try to generalize to saying a resident shouldn't get one as a matter of course. I think it would be the exception not the rule not to even consult with one in many cases.

And in any case your point that attorneys can't help when I know several that are old hat at this, deserves refutation for being 100% demonstrably untrue.

You say that you're basing this on well known residents cases gone bad. I can think of why those cases are the ones you hear about. But the nature of cases settled out of court, and very common issues between board and physicians are such that you wouldn't.

I'm also curious if you personally know physicians that have experience being represented by attorneys to the board or to their programs, or how you are coming to the generalized conclusion that simply seeking the private counsel of an attorney is this major danger step.

Lastly, we didn't touch on at all that a very common situation that causes tensions between physicians and their employers/the board, often involves concerns about physical/mental health/substance use, and also other not terribly uncommon criminal issues (DUI is one that comes to mind, but other legal missteps are made by docs not hugely uncommonly). It is very common, and well-advised enough, that in such cases a physician absolutely consult an attorney. These issues are often a factor for residents falling out of favor as well.

The idea that a physician in any situation should just prostrate themselves before any regulatory body or employer to purposefully leave themselves at the tender mercies one may beg of them, to the point of not even consulting an attorney with relevant experience, so awful that I will fight the very idea with every fiber of my being. It is awful. It is possible to go wrong with an attorney, but not for the simple fact you consulted or were represented by one.

For one I never said that a physician should prostrate themselves over anything. I think a physician should be wise in how they behave and expect a fair but reasonable outcome. I have knowledge as I have posted of numerous cases where residents sued and lost. Most cases where an attorney is gotten is for termination issues. Like i said - a court will NOT go against what an educational body feels is the capability of a resident.

Let's look at this objectively - not emotionally like you are doing.
Resident A gets on probation. Probation goes sour. Probation may or may not be fair. It's possible the program feels resident A sucks or they just dont like him/her. So the "probation" fails. Resident A is told they will get terminated bc of ... (take your pick) - patient safety concerns, lack of knowledge, lack of technical skills, etc. Resident says hey let me get an attorney. Attorney - let's just say a good one and these days it's hard to find a good attorney (trust me, I have used numerous attorneys recently in a number of matters - none medicine related though), and attorney says well we dont agree with termination. Say this goes to trial - 2 years later (this happened to a resident at Loyola I believe). Case is presented, program will argue - through their lawyer and testimony that resident A sucked in the following ways. Resident can argue through their lawyer and their testimony all they want about how they were fantastic - guess what? 99.9% of the cases they will LOSE. Why? Because a court will NOT find or go against a panel of expeirenced, medicine "experts' saying oh yeah we think this resident is great. Not going to happen.

Now can a lawyer help a resident get a better/neutral letter? Possibly. Or maybe not. The program has all the power. Fair or not. If the program is super antagnized the letter will be scathing. Can a court undo a scathing letter? You better believe not.

Will a board grant a license to a physician they believe is not competent/qualified, etc? Nope. if a physician takes this to court do you think the court will find in favor of the physician or its board of medicine?

The "examples" you presented are not really understananble for one, they are personal anecdotes and in the one case as you mentioned the physician had to release their medical records regardless. So it was useless.

A contract review is different. A contract review is a position where there is more equal ground and if an attorney presents a problem and the physician takes it up with the prospective employer, they can discuss it and the employer as well as the physician can take it or leave it.

Medical malpractice is also very very different. Med mal is just like any other legal battle - person X makes a complaint about x issue. Experts are called in to determine whether physician acted right or not. Physician may or may not have done anything wrong. If a peer says Dr X did not follow the standard of care because of the following that's one thing. If a peer physician says Dr. X did everything right and I would have done the exact same thing - again these are peer, experts saying hey this person did or did not do anything wrong. Clearly in med mal cases there is a lot of financial gain at stake and more financially driven than anything generally. So an attorney can help in this case. and the courts can help.

Very different than a resident - who may be a disaster for various reasons - or not. No lawyer or court can tell a program "you believe this resident sucks but we disagree so you must keep him/her." Not going to hapepn. A court can however determine if a contract was violation (ie - contract says you were going to get 10 trillion dollars per year, and you only got 5). Sure, that's a solvable issue with an attorney and a court. Very different matters.

OP can do what they will. If they want to get an attorney that's fine. I would thread carefully. It's not about prostrating - it's about being smart and trying to get the best possible outcome.

"It will hurt you because it will hurt you" is your mentality. You reflect the exact compliance mentality that corporations and hospitals want. This way of being has worked for you because much of medicine is to shut up and simply comply with what the attending or some other ***** is pushing. However, when it comes to the real world, respect and power isn't earned by exposing your belly but rather your teeth. To tell anyone that having a lawyer is a bad to me is some of the most terrible advise I have ever heard

Do you work or have you been part of any medical board of any state? This might explain why you want to discourage people because it might make life harder for you

"It will hurt you because it will hurt you" is your mentality. You reflect the exact compliance mentality that corporations and hospitals want. This way of being has worked for you because much of medicine is to shut up and simply comply with what the attending or some other ***** is pushing. However, when it comes to the real world, respect and power isn't earned by exposing your belly but rather your teeth. To tell anyone that having a lawyer is a bad to me is some of the most terrible advise I have ever heard

Do you work or have you been part of any medical board of any state? This might explain why you want to discourage people because it might make life harder for you
Hey guys - to update you, I hired an attorney who specializes in medical licensure and dealing with the board. I interviewed with the investigator with the attorney at my side. I had to sign releases of information for my residency, family doctor, and psychiatrist. Should get a response in 90 days or so (since the releases expire at that time)...

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users

I might be wrong here but I suspect that poster might be in academia.

Telling someone who will be dealing with the BOM in a fight for his livelihood not to seek legal counsel from an attorney is assassin! Yeah just be nice, the BOM will like that and they will grant a license. Is that poster living in the twilight zone?

Hey guys - to update you, I hired an attorney who specializes in medical licensure and dealing with the board. I interviewed with the investigator with the attorney at my side. I had to sign releases of information for my residency, family doctor, and psychiatrist. Should get a response in 90 days or so (since the releases expire at that time)...
Let us know when you got a license; some of us can point you in the right direction to get a good paying job.

Whether or not to litigate is case by case and you two are making great points about different scenarios. If you are considering litigation, consider the following:

1.) Did the program follow the procedures they themselves have outlined?

2.) Did your program give you reasonable accommodations with your situation?

3.) Do you know the main arguments the program is going to make against you including the examples. Do you have saved documentation/proof that can show these are indisputably false? Yeah...see even if you know it’s BS, it’s so hard to argue. Even if there were 6 examples they gave...let’s say 1 was egregious but ended up being untrue and the rest were minor but ended up being true...but the only reason the other 5 were brought to light was because of the egregious example, no one is going to go back and consider all that subjectivity. In the case of the Colombian surgery resident, she points to reduced caseloads, etc. but ultimately can’t prove this was linked to her being Colombian with definitive evidence. That’s what it comes down to. Definitive evidence.

4.) Assess your program’s future intent in conversation. This one can be difficult at times like Crayola has alluded to in other threads he has mentioned PDs potentially badmouthing residents on the phone, etc. It’s much easier to go into things initially accommodating to see what is being offered. If you’re being offered a positive letter, you may just be better off taking it and going. Yes, you're being treated unfairly but the legal system is not going to be able to do anything about it. I completely agree that when there is a grey area in areas like this, any judge will side with patient safety.

5. Now if you feel like you're backed into a corner or that this effectively ends your medical career, you don't really have any other choice, do you?
——

Trials take a long time. They cost a lot of money. They require a lot of energy. They’re also not 100% fair and often judges have already made their mind up on their principles. Sometimes it can take years to sort out in court when you could just be spending that time redoing what you need to do somewhere else.

Ultimately, the choice to litigate is yours and if you have favorable answers to the above 4 questions, I encourage you to try it if you feel it’s what you need to do.

Last edited:
Let us know when you got a license; some of us can point you in the right direction to get a good paying job.
One good thing is the PD is supporting OP and I think OP plans to reapply to residency. It’s a matter of what to do in the interim which is not a laughing matter if one has a family to support.

Whether or not to litigate is case by case and you two are making great points about different scenarios. If you are considering litigation, consider the following:

1.) Did the program follow the procedures they themselves have outlined?

2.) Did your program give you reasonable accommodations with your situation?

3.) Do you know the main arguments the program is going to make against you including the examples. Do you have saved documentation/proof that can show these are indisputably false? Yeah...see even if you know it’s BS, it’s so hard to argue. Even if there were 6 examples they gave...let’s say 1 was egregious but ended up being untrue and the rest were minor but ended up being true...but the only reason the other 5 were brought to light was because of the egregious example, no one is going to go back and consider all that subjectivity. In the case of the Colombian surgery resident, she points to reduced caseloads, etc. but ultimately can’t prove this was linked to her being Colombian with definitive evidence. That’s what it comes down to. Definitive evidence.

4.) Assess your program’s future intent in conversation. This one can be difficult at times like Crayola has alluded to in other threads he has mentioned PDs potentially badmouthing residents on the phone, etc. It’s much easier to go into things initially accommodating to see what is being offered. If you’re being offered a positive letter, you may just be better off taking it and going. Yes, you're being treated unfairly but the legal system is not going to be able to do anything about it. I completely agree that when there is a grey area in areas like this, any judge will side with patient safety.

5. Now if you feel like you're backed into a corner or that this effectively ends your medical career, you don't really have any other choice, do you?
——

Trials take a long time. They cost a lot of money. They require a lot of energy. They’re also not 100% fair and often judges have already made their mind up on their principles. Sometimes it can take years to sort out in court when you could just be spending that time redoing what you need to do somewhere else.

Ultimately, the choice to litigate is yours and if you have favorable answers to the above 4 questions, I encourage you to try it if you feel it’s what you need to do.
Correct. The subjectivity of medicine makes it very hard for any court of law to side w a resident unless there is some egregious situation that happens. I wish the OP the best but as he/she even pointed sitting w a lawyer did nothing thus far - he/ she had to turn in all the documents requested by the board, etc. I am not in academia by any stretch of the imagination, I couldn’t be further away from academia. I am very much in private practice and don’t work for any board. I believe In justice and fairness and that the vast majority of probation BS is indeed Bs in the same way as peer evals are a bunch of crap,etc. I am saying that the reality is that very rarely will a court of law will side w a resident if a program makes a reasonable case. Even if there is a minimal chance the program is right and a patient could have a negative outcome no court will side w the resident. Typically something outrageous has to happen (happened at my program) in the past where literally every resident in our program got interviewed by ACGME and PD, chair eventually stepped down as well as toxic attending a, etc and there was a complete re structure of the program. Does not happen often and we would have gotten nowhere in a court of law. Sometimes u have to wait until u have more power to make change
And like u said trials are expensive and cost lots and take years for an uncertain outcome

Last edited:

Probably a resident ...

That and residents suing their program is not at all similar to attendings with medical board issues.

It's not even apples and oranges, it's more like apples and cocker spaniels.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users