Residency Director Med School Rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sr9

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard that rankings of medical schools by residency directors are published in US News. Does anyone have a list of this years rankings? I looked in the print edition but I couldn't find it!

And don't judge - I'm not making my decision solely based on this list, I just think it would be interesting to see :)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
cool, thanks!

i think there might be a more recent list out though. at my michigan interview they told us that michigan is ranked in the top 5 by residency directors, and i'm assuming they're getting that stat from the latest rankings.

does anyone know of a current list?

I'm going to quote this because I think it's relevant:

Law2Doc said:
Bear in mind it is meaningless unless it is specialty specific. You don't get evaluated by residencies as a group, you get evaluated by the specific residency you are applying for. If a top school's residency director for optho thinks a school is great, that doesn't mean that the same school's residency director for neuro would agree. So such a list kind of tells you nothing, because it ignores how these decisions get made.

yea, i see what you mean but for those of us who don't have a specialty in mind, this list can give us a general idea of how a med school is perceived. it's also a good comparison to the us news research rankings.

yea, i see what you mean but for those of us who don't have a specialty in mind, this list can give us a general idea of how a med school is perceived....

Um no, it really can't. I appreciate that JimmerJammer quoted me so I didn't have to retype pretty much the same thing again. Say you decide you want to go to ortho. The ortho residency directors (individually and/or as a group) might have a bunch of schools in mind that experience dictates churn out solid ortho residents. Or they may feel that the couple of ortho residents they took from X school were subpar. So within that specialty, they have a mental list of places at which students will get a harder look. Because a lot of this is based on these PDs experiences with graduates of specific schools going into that specific specialty, there is absolutely no reason to believe that a group of PDs in another specialty, perhaps a nonsurgical specialty, would have a similar perspective. Unfortunately studies like US News group a handful of PDs from a handful of dissimilar residencies and call it data. But because it doesn't take into account how residencies work, it's bad data at best. It cannot give you a "general idea of how a med school is perceived" because it really doesn't mean much if the ranking is heavily weighted toward the opinion of fields you will have no interest in -- ie if the average IM PD loves your school but the field you end up wanting, say optho, hates it, or worse perhaps optho isn't even represented in this group of PDs, it doesn't mean much that US News ranks that school highly -- it is a bad bad choice for certain specialties. So in fact you would be better off selecting the med school for totally different factors. And I submit you always are.

Internal Medicine rankings would differ; Top 20 by groupings:

Hopkins
Harvard

UCSF
Duke
Penn

Wash U.
Michigan
Washington
UCLA
Baylor College

Yale
Stanford
UTSW
Columbia

Cornell Weil
Vanderbilt
Chicago Pritzker
Northwestern
Pitt
Emory

Internal Medicine rankings would differ; Top 20 by groupings:

Hopkins
Harvard

UCSF
Duke
Penn

Wash U.
Michigan
Washington
UCLA
Baylor College

Yale
Stanford
UTSW
Columbia

Cornell Weil
Vanderbilt
Chicago Pritzker
Northwestern
Pitt
Emory

Is Baylor actually considered a better medicine residency than UTSW? I've heard exactly the opposite.

your list is outdated.

your list is outdated.

That's the list that we use here at Hopkins, where I am on the IM residency admissions committee. Feel free to offer your list to the forum, med student.

That's the list that we use here at Hopkins, where I am on the IM residency admissions committee. Feel free to offer your list to the forum, med student.

MOONGLOW!

633548450121624483-internetseriousbusiness.jpg