Position Wanted Residency for a foreign surgeon/doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

madesh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, My father was trained in a foreign country and performed many types of surgeries for 17 years in this country. He even taught as a professor in the surgery department. Not only was he a surgeon he also worked as a physician. We came to the US about 10 years ago, and he has yet to find a residency program to accept him. He has taken and passed the usmle step 1, 2, CS, and CK. he has all required forms and papers necessary and transferred documents from my home country to here. He does have a job in a hospital but it is as an anesthesia tech assistant, not as respected as he used to be. What can he do to find a residence? Can they discriminate him on his age (late 40s). How can he be a doctor here? and why wont anyone take him?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, My father was trained in a foreign country and performed many types of surgeries for 17 years in this country. He even taught as a professor in the surgery department. Not only was he a surgeon he also worked as a physician. We came to the US about 10 years ago, and he has yet to find a residency program to accept him. He has taken and passed the usmle step 1, 2, CS, and CK. he has all required forms and papers necessary and transferred documents from my home country to here. He does have a job in a hospital but it is as an anesthesia tech assistant, not as respected as he used to be. What can he do to find a residence? Can they discriminate him on his age (late 40s). How can he be a doctor here? and why wont anyone take him?

Thank you

Hi madesh,

I sympathize with your (and your father's) situation. It would be important to know the answers to the following questions:

1) The foreign country you are talking about
2) The level of your father's English proficiency
2) Your father's USMLE scores​

I do think age discrimination can be a factor, unfortunately. However, this can be overcome with good board scores (i.e. USMLE's), as well as convincingly showing hard work, eagerness, and resourcefulness. (Also, good board scores means not just passing the exams, but doing well on them.)

What is most important is that your father get into *any* residency program. I would shoot for a Surgical Pre-lim program. I would also make sure to apply widely. In fact, he ought to apply to over 100 surgery prelim positions, and actively use as many contacts as he can, especially in the hospital he currently works for (if they have surgery prelims).

Good luck!

EDIT: I just realized that this was posted in the wrong sub-forum.