Residency in community program

Started by premedk
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

premedk

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a 4th year at a mid tier US school, interested in GI. There are a couple of community programs I'm strongly considering. Assuming I get the nessecary research durkng residency, how much do GI fellowship look down on applicants from community based residencies.
 
Please by all means go for a University program (one with it's own GI fellowship) if you have that choice,
Never purposely put yourself at a disadvantage.

Down the line you will have :
- access to better mentors in the field
- more likely to produce more 'meaningful' research
- Increase your chances of matching into GI as an internal candidate
- your LOR's will have more weight and value
 
I'm a 4th year at a mid tier US school, interested in GI. There are a couple of community programs I'm strongly considering. Assuming I get the nessecary research durkng residency, how much do GI fellowship look down on applicants from community based residencies.

It's not a matter of looking down, it's one of "quality assurance" and brand name.
Think about getting sneakers...would the average joe rather have a pair of Nike or Mizuno?
Mizuno make fine athletic gear, but 9/10 are going to take the Nike pair. Similar situation with UCSF/Michigan/Mayo etc vs Anytown Memorial