Residency in Different Branch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chicken Little

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tried searching for this online and here but wasn't able to find an answer. If I am Army am I able to rank residency spots in Air Force/Navy bases as well?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
It does sometimes happen, but it isn't the norm and so far as I know you have essentially no say in the matter. We had an AF guy train with us, but that was because in the year that he applied the AF projected additional need and the Army actually didn't need as many as they were slotted to train. So the AF contacted the Army and they just pushed him over.

I don't know of any way you can just make this happen. Maybe if you got a deferment, and for some reason you wanted to train in a Navy program and for some reason the Navy had an open slot. It's an astrological event when this kind of thing happens.

I’ve seen it with collocation. I’ve also seen it when an AF USUHS student convinced the AF it was cheaper to keep him at Walter Reed for internship.

I’ve seen it with collocation. I’ve also seen it when an AF USUHS student convinced the AF it was cheaper to keep him at Walter Reed for internship.
So if it's done for collocation, does one branch just give the other service a spot?

Hi,
I did an Army residency at WRAMC and I’m Navy. The Navy made an exception for me to do the program and the Army and ACGME both made a spot for me. So it does happen,
In terms of residency, you should always try, because all they can say is “no.”
And it’s like marriage, you should marry the one you love, not just the one who’ll have you.
Good luck to you,

Reactions: 1 user
It’s not common. Saying that navy gave out two of our spots to army my year so we had 3 navy and 2 army. They were thrilled to train San Diego. Billets post residency were army obviously so that didn’t help them