residency interview notification deadline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ftdr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just curious when all programs are supposed to let us know about interviews being granted (I realize it is early still, but I was curious when we should expect to see the bulk of the response from programs). Any info? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

A program that I designated but didnt extern at denied me an interview. It was a small program that isn't "well known" and doesn't have any strict academic cut offs. I don't feel bad since I designated them for the sake of designating them (I blame peer pressure) but the point, I think, is; good luck getting an interview at a half way decent program without having spent a significant amount of time there (or planning on it in the next 2-3 months).

I can't believe the average student wasted money dsignating more than 18 programs...

If that's going to be the trend this year, I don't see how that's fair to the students who go to schools with only 5 externships, all while having to practically beg to get time off from clinic. Also, IMHO, if programs are going to be so picky pre-interview, it's just going to cause more programs (and students) to scramble.

Members don't see this ad :)
A program that I designated but didnt extern at denied me an interview. It was a small program that isn't "well known" and doesn't have any strict academic cut offs. I don't feel bad since I designated them for the sake of designating them (I blame peer pressure) but the point, I think, is; good luck getting an interview at a half way decent program without having spent a significant amount of time there (or planning on it in the next 2-3 months).

I can't believe the average student wasted money dsignating more than 18 programs...
If you're an average student, why stop at 18, just get all 216. It's a numbers game when you get down to it.

Reactions: 1 users
As discussed above I agree that it seems that programs have been flooded with applications as many of the schools are "requiring" students to designate AT LEAST 18 programs with many student going beyond this. This new practice that everyone seems to be adopting in light of the shortage is just going to lead to programs becoming overwhelmed and only interviewing their externs, it will in effect negate designating all those programs you never visited but picked at random to designate!

As discussed above I agree that it seems that programs have been flooded with applications as many of the schools are "requiring" students to designate AT LEAST 18 programs with many student going beyond this. This new practice that everyone seems to be adopting in light of the shortage is just going to lead to programs becoming overwhelmed and only interviewing their externs, it will in effect negate designating all those programs you never visited but picked at random to designate!
Not entirely true, most of the interviews I received are from programs I haven't had contact with prior. Returning applicants aren't allowed to extern so we are handicapped going into interviews.

Not entirely true, most of the interviews I received are from programs I haven't had contact with prior. Returning applicants aren't allowed to extern so we are handicapped going into interviews.

As a returning applicant I see your point but I find it hard to believe that the large number of designations per applicant has no effect on being granted an interview. You are effectively competing with a much larger pool than you would have. I believe your # of interviews granted/number of designations would be greatly impacted verse previous years but I cannot back this up and it's simply conjecture. I pose a question to you though as a returning applicant, how many programs did you designate? I extend that question to everyone, how many did you designate?

Last edited:
As a returning applicant I see your point but I find it hard to believe that the large number of designations per applicant has no effect on being granted an interview. You are effectively competing with a much larger pool than you would have. I believe your # of interviews granted/number of designations would be greatly impacted verse previous years but I cannot back this up and it's simply conjecture. I pose a question to you though as a returning applicant, how many programs did you designate? I extend that question to everyone, how many did you designate?

I designated over 100 and I have enough interviews that I may not be able to fit them all into the 6 days. Of these I had the chance to visit about 4 programs this year.

Last edited:
There are 5 programs I still haven't heard from. Two of them do not attend CRIP so I think they're on their own schedule. The other three I did not visit but I certainly sent in all of the proper documents. I'll likely send them a "check up" email today.

Anybody else experiencing the same thing?

There are 5 programs I still haven't heard from. Two of them do not attend CRIP so I think they're on their own schedule. The other three I did not visit but I certainly sent in all of the proper documents. I'll likely send them a "check up" email today.

Anybody else experiencing the same thing?

Only one. But it's Madigan which is going to take residents one day, then closing down the next, then back to taking residents, then closing...and still listed as "unsure" of even going to CRIP

The rest of my designations (even the ones I've never even contacted) have responded.