MD & DO Residency Interview Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1stYearGunner

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was asked this question during a practice residency interview. I was wondering what you guys would do.

Your resident colleague posts negative comments about your other coresidents and your attendings on Facebook. What do you do?

What's your answer? Would you have informed the PD of this incident or not?

Second question : You overhear your colleague resident repair a wound on an intoxicated patient in the suture room. He says "You're a drunk. You don't need any freezing." The patient screams. What do you do?

Threw me off guard. I have hesitations about how to approach this. Do you report to the PD?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you certain you can discuss that here? I’m only an M1 but I’d imagine there’d be some type of clause stating that you cannot disclose interview questions. Or maybe med school interviews and residency interviews are two very different beasts.

Members don't see this ad :)
These are for practice/simulation.

That part wasn’t clear prior to the edit.

But to answer the questions:
Q1 - I’d probably not go to the PD as my first stop. It’d be reasonable to talk to the co-resident first about whatever is prompting that reaction and hopefully work with them to resolve the issue at that level.

Q2 - I’d wait to ask the resident about whatever was happening after they’re out of the room. As a general rule of thumb I try to get more information in situations such as these (if obtainable of course) before I make any major decisions.

Reactions: 1 user
@catnip12 Thanks for the input. If your coresident had freezed the patient, but referred to the patient as "the drunk" in your discussions, do you think that would be sufficient grounds to take this up?

In other words, I want to know if an isolated event in which you hear your coresident using degrading words of the patient is enough to take it up further.

@catnip12 Thanks for the input. If your coresident had freezed the patient, but referred to the patient as "the drunk" in your discussions, do you think that would be sufficient grounds to take this up?

In other words, I want to know if an isolated event in which you hear your coresident using degrading words of the patient is enough to take it up further.

I’m way far from residency so I’m only telling you what comes to mind in my idealised world. This sounds like a resident that might be dealing with burn out (or other stress) and is projecting unto the patient. It’s also entirely possible that the resident is dealing with a drunk annoying patient.

So the case is a bit more nuanced: If the process of helping them through their stress involves letting the PD know then sure. But if not, then the isolated event of using said derogatory terms e.g. the drunk to describe a patient isn’t enough to drive me to report my co-resident to my superiors. It may however be enough for me to be concerned to evaluate the problem further.

Are you certain you can discuss that here? I’m only an M1 but I’d imagine there’d be some type of clause stating that you cannot disclose interview questions. Or maybe med school interviews and residency interviews are two very different beasts.

I'm an attending and I know of no such clause any step of the way.

As to these types of questions, it's pretty pointless to crowd source the answer. The answer should be what YOU believe and if you can't come up with that on your own, you're going to have a really bumpy ride. True interview simulation doesn't happen in written form. You need to get together with friends or a mentor or faculty you trust and do mock interviews with feedback sessions.

I would treat these questions like MMI questions. First, ask questions of the interviewer to fill out the factual scenario. Second, think about all possible people/entities that may be affected by the behavior. Third, address the behavior with each/person entity and explain your reasoning.

I agree with Rachapkis, every scenario like this intentionally leaves out some info. They want to see your thought process, your ability to gather information before making decisions. Ask questions, gather information, remain non judgemental. Have a private conversation with the other party. Then outline some of the different possibilities and how you would approach each.

I would treat these questions like MMI questions. First, ask questions of the interviewer to fill out the factual scenario. Second, think about all possible people/entities that may be affected by the behavior. Third, address the behavior with each/person entity and explain your reasoning.
Waste of time. When you have ten minutes with an interviewer, you aren’t going to spend time asking follow ups.

Do you think the residents actions were proper? If not, does it rise to the level of the PD? Could you talk to the resident first? There is no 100% right answer. They aren’t asking you to give a detailed explanation of how to perform a roux-en-y. They want to know about general interpersonal abilities and moral compass.

Thanks everyone. A follow-up question. Apparently M4s get asked questions about their political opinions. eg "What is your opinion on the upcoming election".

How would you approach this? I honestly don't feel like saying I support one candidate over the other etc...

Thanks everyone. A follow-up question. Apparently M4s get asked questions about their political opinions. eg "What is your opinion on the upcoming election".

How would you approach this? I honestly don't feel like saying I support one candidate over the other etc...

Wow, that's crazy. I never saw this. It was generally considered one of those things you don't talk about at interviews. I ended up breaking the rule a couple times, because topics came up and there were a handful of political things going on that affected me and my extended family and many friends on a personal level, but it was never something that was directly asked of me.

Where are you hearing this? No one in my class I’ve spoken to applying across multiple specialties has been asked about political opinions. While it’s not illegal like asking about marital status or orientation, it’s improper and really adds nothing to the interview.

I was asked this question during a practice residency interview. I was wondering what you guys would do.

Your resident colleague posts negative comments about your other coresidents and your attendings on Facebook. What do you do?

What's your answer? Would you have informed the PD of this incident or not?

Second question : You overhear your colleague resident repair a wound on an intoxicated patient in the suture room. He says "You're a drunk. You don't need any freezing." The patient screams. What do you do?

Threw me off guard. I have hesitations about how to approach this. Do you report to the PD?

1st one: speak to resident privately first

2nd one: step in the room to intervene immediately in a professional manner, then speak privately with resident after