residency match for irish students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Purepwnage

Ballin'
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
can irish students apply for the match during their 4th year like american students in america can? or do we need to have been ECFMG certified first, which i understand cant be done without graduating o_O and having done step1 + 2ck/cs, or am i wrong?

so what im asking is, is it possible to be ECFMG certified without having grduated, if you've done step 1 and 2ck/cs before graduating :O hope it makes sense

Members don't see this ad.

Irish students can apply to ERAS during their final year--so without graduating. The only appreciable difference is that you may need your CS CK results a few months earlier than the students in the States. Most Irish students applying to the US write these exams early in the fall semester of their final year.

Irish students can apply to ERAS during their final year--so without graduating. The only appreciable difference is that you may need your CS CK results a few months earlier than the students in the States. Most Irish students applying to the US write these exams early in the fall semester of their final year.
so one would have to have done CS and CK before going into 4th year...?(if doing 4 yr GEM program) is it do-able?, what if you're seeking a H1-B visa rather than a J1... is Step 3 do-able before the interviews?

EDIT

to apply to ERAS one has to be ECFMG certified? right? or did i get something wrong...?

Members don't see this ad :)
You've goy it wrong. You write the cs and ck in final year in the same season you apply for US residency. The time line is EXACTLY the same as for domestic US students.

You've goy it wrong. You write the cs and ck in final year in the same season you apply for US residency. The time line is EXACTLY the same as for domestic US students.
i see... but final year starts in sept for everyone in ireland, match is in march, interviews are wayyy before that, i doubt even if one sits CS and CK in around sept-october-nov that you'll have the result before the interview

and what about the people looking for H1-B visa...? is it possible to take step 3 before graduating?

PS i just looked up the ECFMG website

Both medical school students and graduates may begin the certification process. However, since one of the requirements for ECFMG Certification is that your medical diploma be independently verified by your medical school to ECFMG, you cannot complete the certification process until you graduate and receive your diploma.
http://www.ecfmg.org/cert/index.html

so enlighten me again on how irish students part take in the match before getting the diploma... i.e pass the final year

so are you saying that you can part take in NRMP even if you're not ECFMG certified at the time of your interview/match?

Honestly, I can't give you the details as I'm not doing it. All I know is that Ireland matches tons of kids to the US every year, none of them take a year off, and most of them write the exams on the schedule I mentioned. If you had to take a year off it would be pretty well communicated somewhere on this site, or one of the many others that talk about being an FMG.

US Interviews are generally in December or January. I assume most people have their results by then; or if they don't the programs don't seem to care very much given that people match year after year.

I don't mean to be harsh, but as far as I see it, you're not reading the site you linked to very carefully. Click through to the Fact Sheet. "If you wish to enter such a program, you must be certified by ECFMG before you can start the program." Start does not equal apply to. It is also blatantly stated several times that ECFMG certification is also required to WRITE the Step 3 exam; the Step 3 is not required for certification.

i see... but final year starts in sept for everyone in ireland, match is in march, interviews are wayyy before that, i doubt even if one sits CS and CK in around sept-october-nov that you'll have the result before the interview

and what about the people looking for H1-B visa...? is it possible to take step 3 before graduating?

PS i just looked up the ECFMG website

http://www.ecfmg.org/cert/index.html

so enlighten me again on how irish students part take in the match before getting the diploma... i.e pass the final year

so are you saying that you can part take in NRMP even if you're not ECFMG certified at the time of your interview/match?

Last edited:
Honestly, I can't give you the details as I'm not doing it. All I know is that Ireland matches tons of kids to the US every year, none of them take a year off, and most of them write the exams on the schedule I mentioned. If you had to take a year off it would be pretty well communicated somewhere on this site, or one of the many others that talk about being an FMG. No one writes the Step 3 before intern year, and its not required for an H1-B.

US Interviews are generally in December or January. I assume most people have their results by then; or if they don't the programs don't seem to care very much given that people match year after year.

I don't mean to be harsh, but as far as I see it, you're not reading the site you linked to very carefully. Click through to the Fact Sheet. "If you wish to enter such a program, you must be certified by ECFMG before you can start the program." Start does not equal apply to. It is also blatantly stated several times that ECFMG certification is also required to WRITE the Step 3 exam; the Step 3 is not required for certification.

I'm sorry but can we please put this silly thread to bed now?

calm down bro, its an open forum, you dont have to reply if you dont want to :/, most of your posts are ill informed anyway so its not like i care (eg. lol @ you thinking you dont need step 3 for a H1-B, you do, its a requirement)

The H-1B visa allows the prospective trainee to avoid the J-1 visa requirement to leave the U.S. for two years by petitioning for permanent resident status in the U.S. while in residency training. An applicant for an H-1B visa must be

(1) ECFMG certified (ie have passed USMLE 1, 2ck and 2cs);
(2) must have ALSO passed USMLE step 3 AND
(3) must hold a license to practice in a U.S. state before application (it takes about three weeks to get a training license after your match).

http://www.internationaldoc.com/

that site is actually run by a RCSI graduate

You do not need to be ECFMG certified to match in the US. You will need to have Step I/II CS/II CK done before the rank order list deadline, or you will be withdrawn from the match. You are correct that you will to have passed Step III for an H1-b visa, which you can not take until after graduation. You can get a J1 without the step III. Many programs will not sponsor an H1-b visa as it is more expensive and time consuming (just something to be aware of).

Most people took Step II CS and CK over the summer before the final year, or at latest in September, as many programs will want you to have passed the exams required for the ECFMG certificate prior to offering you an interview. Invites for interviews start coming in September, so it is best to have your score reported by September (but don't worry if yours are a bit later, many people's were this year and they still did fine, but had less choice on what interviews days were open). You will have to look at individual program website for when you need to have scores in for that program (side note even programs that say they require the ECFMG certificate for an interview will still interview if you have completed your steps I/IICS/IICK and just need to graduate to get your certificate).

You will need your ECFMG certificate before you can get your visa and start work. This may mean you will not be able to start your residency on time (don't worry programs that interview you will know this and will help you if you match/pre-match there).

Hope this is helpful.

ECFMG certification happens after you have graduated, to apply for the NRMP match as an IMG you have to have the equivalence of ECFMG certification which includes Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS. So when youre in your final year, make sure you complete Step 2 CK and CS and you should have no problems.

hope that helps

Matching_process.jpg

I found the graphic above to be very helpful in picturing the process of applying to the US match for foreign medical graduates. As a potential US-IMG, I know things will be a little different for me since I won't have any of the visa steps but it's good to stay informed about the match process, in general.

Source: http://www.internationaldoc.com/

Wow, thought this thread was long dead. Not my best postings; sorry about that :/